ATI Physics up to 9x faster than AGEIA

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ATI says they have the best physics processing in the world stating that their branch execution unit eliminates much overhead as compared to team Green. Also ATI says they are going to be simply faster than an Ageia PhysX card even with using a X1600 XT and that a X1900 XT should deliver 9 X the performance of an Ageia PhysX card. ATI does not see their physics technology as an offload for the CPU but rather processes a new category of features know as “effects physics.”

This could prove a very sad day for AGEIA.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I love how Kyle shits all over Ageia for not having a killer app aside from Cell Factor but kneels before ATi when they show off their approach to computer PhysX. Yeah the concept seems a bit more appealing but fair is fair... Come on.

RazorBack

E.M.I.
I would love to see Ageia do well.. I like the idea of an independant PPU. I read yesterday about nVidias plans (and ATI to an extent) in which they plan all new mobos to have 3 PCI-E slots, two for top of the line gpu's and then the third for an older gpu which will run as the PPU. I think nVidia currently is working on the two card method, ie you can have your 7900GTX as the main card then an old 7800GT as the secondary card, used for physics only.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
All I want is some high def audio on my motherboard. I know you can get it but I want it mainstream, and I wanted it yesterday. I know that most have an add on sound card but the option to have a on board high def sound option would be beautiful. That would allow me to have an open PCI slot for a dedicated PPU. I would love to see Ageia transition over to PCI-X and when we were talking with them in California, they did hint at a PCI-X PhysX card down the road. All they need now is proof that they have a viable peice of hardware and that proof would have to be a game.

ATI says that they can handle up to 9 times the particles and objects that Ageia's card can handle. I would like to see a benchmark strictly for physics so we can objectively tell the differance between the companies approach to physics.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
DarkSynergy said:
I love how Kyle shits all over Ageia for not having a killer app aside from Cell Factor but kneels before ATi when they show off their approach to computer PhysX.

Yeah... I noticed that also.

Yeah that’s good an all but PhysX suck right now. Sure there are games in development, but as fast as I get sick of games there needs to be like 15 in development that I would like to play. I can see spending the cash just yet especially on first gen tech.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, I know its good and all and I am right there with you in saying that PhysX sucks balls at this stage. All I want is some fair critisism for ATI. HardOCP rips Ageia, and rightfully so, but when ATI shows off their physics approach, everyone drools and no one says anything about the same negatives Ageia and ATI now share because its Kyle mother-****ing Bennet.