Asus WL-700ge and .pst file

Hello,

I am interested in buying the Asus WL-700ge router for a number of reasons, one of them being the storage capabilities combined with file sharing through ftp/http.

I would also like to be able to read my outlook e-mail from anywhere. Currently all mail is downloaded through pop3 from an external e-mail server. The pop3 box is limited to 10mb. If I was to locate the outlook .pst file on the storage router at work, would I be able to access the .pst through my pda at home? The .pst would update when outlook receives new e-mails.

Looking forward to some reactions.

Regards,

Casper

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This is going to be a bit tough. First and foremost... a 10MB limit is incredibly stupid in this day and age. You should look elsewhere for an e-mail provider, because the limitations of the one you have now is ridiculous :)

If I were in your shoes, what I would do is sign up for a new e-mail address somewhere else, such as GMail, and have all of your e-mail automatically forward there. So essentially, whenever your POP3 received an e-mail, so would the GMail (or whoever) account. So while at work or on the road, you could access your e-mail through your GMail.

Another option would be to close Outlook before leaving home each day, take the PST file and then load up the entire profile when you get to your destination. It's a pain in the ass, but so is a 10MB e-mail limit.

The problem you would run into with the router is that you would need to mount it as a network drive (how difficult this is, I am unsure) and then access the file that way. But still, you would need to copy your PST file there each day manually. It would not be safe to keep it on the router all the time in case anything happens.

I am not saying it's not possible, but it's not something that I would personally try, due to the fact that it would take far more effort than it's worth. What I do with Thunderbird, is copy the entire profile to a thumb drive, that way when I get somewhere else, I can copy it over to the computer and access it then, just fine.

The easiest solution, to me, would be to forward the e-mail to another provider and access it that way. You can configure GMail and others to mask the e-mail address, so if you were to reply, you could make people think you were responding via your regular e-mail.

Of course, if you have no problem with spending some money, you could always get a cheap web host for $8 - $10/month and have your own e-mail address domain name. That way you could have upwards of 1GB or more of e-mail space and be able to access it via Outlook anywhere, without having to worry about the limitations.