ASUS to Roll Out Eee PC with Windows XP in Q1

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It's hard to deny that the Eee from ASUS has been a huge hit so far, and I've come to the conclusion that in order for a product to sell well, it needs to have a ridiculous name that's also short (Wii, Eee). But that aside, it also proves to be one of the most hackable computers out there. It's already run many variations of Linux and even Windows XP, so ASUS figured it made sense to officially support the latter.

Sometime in Q1, they will launch brand-new Eee PCs with Windows XP pre-installed. The Eees you can see in the photo below were at CES last week, and were all caught running the OS. Pricing information is not disclosed in the press release, but we were told to expect them at around the $499 mark, but it could (hopefully not) go as high as $599. At that point though, a budget Dell notebook looks all the more tempting, unless you really just after the small form-factor.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td> </td></tr></tbody></table>
"The Eee PC has been a tremendous success since our initial launch in November last year, and our channel customers tell us they want to offer even more options to their end consumers. With the new Windows XP based offerings, we expect to engage with a broader customer base whose existing software and applications require a Windows' based device, " said Jackie Hsu, President of ASUS America Channel.

Source: ASUS Press Release

I can't help but shake the nagging feeling that the Eee PC is becoming expensive enough to just warrant buying a real laptop. Eee is small, but it has got to be an inconvenience to use for the most part. But, for size and battery-life (especially given the price), it's still hard to beat.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You hit the nail on the head with the base model dell notebook comment. The appeal of the Eee started when they announced it during the initial OLPC launch hoopla. Everyone wanted a small and affordable notebook and the original Eee delivered on all fronts. With the integration of XP and more powerful hardware, Asus is clearly loosing sight of the original goal (or what I thought it was at least) and is riding high the wave of style that everyone loves the Eee for now.

The intrigue is gone for me now in the Eee. Smart business but with an entirely new business model it appears.