ASUS PW201 20" LCD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are in the market for a modestly sized widescreen computer monitor, then ASUS has you covered. It's hard to denote the PW201 as a "computer" monitor though, as it's fully capable of handling your game consoles and cable TV. The functionality doesn't end there though.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The reaction I received after using the webcam one evening.
poor_rob.jpg

Brilliant! And sexy too...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I love my 32 inch monitor. That being said if I could choose between mine and this monitor I would be going with this 20" instead. Here is my take on the monitors/tvs, and why this thing is well worth the buy.

Ever want to watch tv and do some reading or typing? The answer here is PIP (picture in picture). Not all of these monitor/tvs have it but it rox.

I can read a tip or FAQ online and at the push of a button be back to my game on the same screen. This may or maynot be something you like, but think about doing it with no extra deskspace being taken up. Think about how much space a tv can take up on your desk or other things.

I can hook ANYthing up to it. So far i havent found something that I cant plug n and use on this.

Now as for Rob's review on this screen.

"* Superb image quality" - Damn straight. Especially for this one. That high res is somethign that is rare with these combo monitors. Especially for so cheap. Yes I said cheap. Look up the other combo monitors with this high of a res.

"* Great monitor styling" - As the combo screens go, this one looks pimp!

"* Splendid color modes well done" - Some of the combo monitors have difficulties with this one... iunno why. But if you can find one with a good options set up, get it.

"* Supports many input devices" - Dont I know it brotha!

"* 3 USB ports + Webcam" - This has got to be the key novelty of this combo screen. I know computer screens come with a USB hub. Whoopty-dee-doo right? And the web cam, whoo hoo! So what's is the big deal here? I challenge anyone reading this to find a combo monitor this size with these things. I havent found one yet. If I had this monitor to choose from when looking for one to purchase this would have made me want this one.

"* Cons Parts of the design is clunky" - Yeah. So? alot of these types of combo screens are focusing on being a TV first. In fact you'll find alot more of them that are Tv's trying to be screens then you might think. Mine is. I have two options for my screen. The nearly non swiveling stand, or wall mount. (I say near non swivel because it does swivel 20 degrees maybe.) Other than that, what? The ability to rotate it 90 degrees? ALOT of screens that have this feature dont have the proper implementation for it. And I know there has to be more combo monitors out there that can do this. Im wondering how well this stacks up to those, not other screens.

"* Monitor is pricy compared to competition, but does include additional features" - Your right. Compared to a 20" screen this thing is pricy. Compared to my 32" that I got on SALE at a price of ~ $678, this thing is a steal. Especially for the resolution when compared to other combo monitors.

"* High-definition input wasn't very "high-definition"" - Ok so yeah... you've got em there. Alot of these combo screens have problems with this. Once again, not entirely sure why. You'd think they would be kings of high def...

I give this a personal Stork score of 8.5. Ive seen better in both areas that this screen is designed to cover, but Ive rarely seen a combo monitor that touches this one. And yeah Ive looked

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Regarding PIP, I can see how it would be completely useful for many people. The fact is though, the menu options on this screen is so clunky, I was aggrevated even trying to get to the PIP options. If there was a remote control included, it would have been a lot less painful.

"Some of the combo monitors have difficulties with this one."

Yeah, I was impressed. The monitor includes five different color modes, and while some monitors offer them also, they don't make much of a real difference. Splendid does though.. huge differences. The theater mode really is a lot better for movie viewing, and the game for gaming.

"Yeah. So? alot of these types of combo screens are focusing on being a TV first."

The menu system was the clunkiest part of the screen, it was really unacceptable. To me, I'd rather just say screw it to PIP or even changing a color mode simply because I have to spend two minutes trying to be patient to make it happen.

"Compared to a 20" screen this thing is pricy. Compared to my 32" that I got on SALE at a price of ~ $678, this thing is a steal."

You are comparing a plasma to an LCD Monitor? Yes for a monitor this monitor is pricy, but has unbelievable picture at 1650*1050.. but. Like I mentioned in the review, the Xbox 360 did not look crisp at all, and the same would probably be said for anything else other than a computer. I think for HD TV, you are going to want an actual television that has it as it's sole purpose.

I paid $1,000 for my LG 26" LCD TV last year, and it offers exceptional Xbox 360 quality, which is good because that's the main reason I bought it. It's designed for 720p, which is why it looks amazing... this monitor was not, which is why it's component looked like S-Video.

That sad thing with my TV is that it only supports 1280*768 (720p), so I didn't have the best of both worlds. Xbox looks amazing, as would HD Digital cable, but the computer lacked in overall resolution.

"Alot of these combo screens have problems with this. Once again, not entirely sure why. You'd think they would be kings of high def..."

Well, I don't understand it either. It has component cables, but I did not see the crisp, high detail like I do with my LCD TV. I wish I could better take photos to show the quality differences but it's a pain in the ass.

That said, yes this is a great monitor for it's picture quality. The overall clunkiness and poor Component quality is what held it back from a better score. Not to mention the poor sound quality... it's bad. I can't see anyone owning this actually using the built-in sound.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
That would kill it for me then. I love the sound on mine :)

I do think the built in web came and USB ports make up some on the cost of this thing though. Just not that much.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, but you have a plasma. The sound SHOULD be good on it, because 99.5% of the people who own one will use that sound. This monitor however is an exception. Many people have a separate set of speakers, so it's basically an optional thing.

Same with my LCD TV... it sounds superb. Not as good as an actual sound system though.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Oh well yeah... when is a stereo sound ever going to match my x-fi carded surround sound speakers? ;-p

I still like the screen for the price though.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You have a bad habit of comparing things of completely different classes. Who in their right mind compares stereo speakers to a surround sound setup? Of COURSE it's going to be better. It costs 5 - 10x as much.