ASUS P5P55D Pro Preview

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In preparation for Intel's upcoming Lynnfield processors, we took a look at Gigabyte's P55-UD5 last week, and this week, ASUS' P7P55D Pro is on our workbench for a quick once-over. Equipped with lots of functionality, an easy-to-stomach price and a great color scheme, this board should prove to be a popular choice upon its launch.

You can read our full preview here and discuss it here!

R

ras

Stack cool or not?

Your article says the P7P55D Pro is missing Stack Cool 3. And indeed, if you look at Asus's product page for the P7P55D [ http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=j02KziJq95KbCQNm&templete=2 ], it is not mentioned in the "Overview" section, as seems to be the case with all other P7P55D boards. However, the feature IS listed under the "Specifications" tab. What's the final word on this?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
There are two versions of Stack Cool 3. The generic version means that the board features a fanless solution, while "Stack Cool 3+" means that as well, but also that the board includes the 2oz of copper in the PCB.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
That "+" is pretty subtle. I went to the web site & had a few boards lined up in the comparison tool & didn't get it.

We have talked before about the 2 oz Cu buried in the PCB as to what heat removal benefit it could be ... of which I am skeptical. But, it can't hurt in anyway and I do think with the current draw and other electrical performance issues it would be helpful.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I don't need to be able to give specifics to state that the extra copper does wick heat away from those small, but very hot hotspots better, such as around the MOSFETs especially. It probably doesn't help dissipate heat much better as simply spread it around. Still, I'd rather the motherboard be a few degrees warmer and the hottest spots several degrees cooler as that will go a fair ways towards preserving the life of the power circuitry.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That "+" is pretty subtle. I went to the web site & had a few boards lined up in the comparison tool & didn't get it.

You have to also appreciate the fact that Stack Cool 3 is a name for something simple. "What? It has no fans? Let's call this 'technology' Stack Cool 3!".

U

Unregistered

Hi!
I bougth this mboard but wen i try to install on the thermaltake it wont fit...i think os because the q-shield...