ASUS G53SX 15.6-inch Gaming Notebook Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Enthusiast-level gaming notebooks don't need to cost a fortune; something ASUS proves with its $1,249 G53SX 15.4" offering. It features a 1080p display and an NVIDIA GTX 560M that's able to power today's games to it. This, in addition to an Intel quad-core processor and 12GB of RAM make it a very powerful and drool-worthy notebook.

Read our full review of ASUS' G53SX gaming notebook and then discuss it here!

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
In another life when I have spare cash. I just came up from the old G50VT to a gaming desktop. I would have grabbed the MSI GT683R or the ASUS G53/73 Sandy but the 560M being a bit under the 550 Ti in performance wasnt good enough to justify the mobility for me.

Awesome notebook for sure.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If this had a GPU on par with the desktop 560, then it would have been jaw-dropping, but given its price-point, the 560M is a suitable choice. I seriously loved playing with this laptop and have already told ASUS it might get lost in the mail ;-)

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
If this had a GPU on par with the desktop 560, then it would have been jaw-dropping, but given its price-point, the 560M is a suitable choice. I seriously loved playing with this laptop and have already told ASUS it might get lost in the mail ;-)

Yeah well to get close to a 460/560 you have to grab something with the 580M which sadly is not MSI (570M max) and definitely not ASUS. Sager fits the bill for most of us and I believe alienware..... has that option as well. But this here is in the range of affordable with acceptable performance.

The earlier G53/G73 had its share of issues and it seems like they've been ironed out. Those that have the G73SW have told me time and time again how silent it is and it sounds like ASUS moved in a positive direction from the G51 which was a bit of a hot mess.

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I can understand the point of putting all the connectivity on the side instead of the rear - it gives them more room for airflow on the back, instead of pumping out hot air through the sides and over your hands.

The thing with the bright screen may also be the result of support for 3D vision, which means glasses that dim the screen... so it needs to be bright to compensate. Does the screen support the full 120Hz frequency at 1080p?

Last edited:

MacMan

Partition Master
As a gamer this is an absolutely GREAT computer, but for us non-gamers it's just NICE computer.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
but for us non-gamers it's just NICE computer.

Especially for the mac user in our lives. :p Just teasing.

I say that we have a desktop gamer in my community who has a Mac Book Pro he keeps trying to sell every time someone mentions they're trying to buy a notebook. They're all trying to buy a gaming notebook and he gets a little blind.

Sadly my next notebook will probably be a compromise. Something I can play portal 2 on if im super bored but nothing that can run anything. Something thin and light.

Last edited: