ASUS G2 initial impressions

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Greg and I took a look at the G2 at CES and both were intrigued. ASUS actually has a G1 as well, but it's NVIDIA based, while the G2 is.. you guessed it, ATI based. For some reason though, the G1 has a smaller (15") screen compared to the G2s 17" monster. It's odd, because if you -really- love NVIDIA, they make you sacrifice the larger screen.

I hauled this out of the box yesterday, and so far am very impressed. First off, it's huge, so it's not suitable for carrying around all over the place, unless you don't mind the extra weight. Whereas the Lamgorghini is suited more for people with a sense of style, the G2 is designed for the gamer, which is evident right from the time you boot up and hear an explosion sound.

So far I am enjoying this notebook more than others I have used... I even like the touchpad, which is a rarity these days. It's just an overall well designed notebook, but I'll give a lot more info and opinion in the review which will be posted in the coming weeks.

Intel T7200 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2-667, 160GB 5400.3 HDD, ATI X1700, Intel 3945 WiFi, 1.3Megapixel Webcam.. SRP $1,699.

Attachments

• g2_01.jpg
    g2_01.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 622
  • g2_02.jpg
    g2_02.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 612
  • g2_03.jpg
    g2_03.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 602
  • g2_04.jpg
    g2_04.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 599
  • g2_05.jpg
    g2_05.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 619
  • g2_06.jpg
    g2_06.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 601
  • g2_07.jpg
    g2_07.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 599

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The best thing about this notebook in my opinion is the brushed aluminum top. Tell me that wont turn a few heads in an airport or on campus. Aside from that, from seeing it in person at CES, (which I did not notice the front of the notebook then), it's certainly a notebook that one can get excited about. While nothing earth shattering, the system specs of the G2 should provide a enjoyable gaming experience and more than enough power for any other app that you might want to run. Should be an interesting review.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The top is brushed aluminum, but not real brushed aluminum. It's soft to the touch, so it's either a skin, or brushed aluminum with a glossy covering. It looks great either way.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Yeah, it does look killer. I am sure though, that real aluminum would add a bit of unwanted weight to the notebook. Speaking of weight, how much does it weight?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's 9.7lbs, so it's far from light. It's definitely the most solid notebook I've touched though, so I think it would stand up well to some rough handling.

MacMan

Partition Master
Nice, but.....

Greg and I took a look at the G2 at CES and both were intrigued. ASUS actually has a G1 as well, but it's NVIDIA based, while the G2 is.. you guessed it, ATI based. For some reason though, the G1 has a smaller (15") screen compared to the G2s 17" monster. It's odd, because if you -really- love NVIDIA, they make you sacrifice the larger screen.

I hauled this out of the box yesterday, and so far am very impressed. First off, it's huge, so it's not suitable for carrying around all over the place, unless you don't mind the extra weight. Whereas the Lamgorghini is suited more for people with a sense of style, the G2 is designed for the gamer, which is evident right from the time you boot up and hear an explosion sound.

So far I am enjoying this notebook more than others I have used... I even like the touchpad, which is a rarity these days. It's just an overall well designed notebook, but I'll give a lot more info and opinion in the review which will be posted in the coming weeks.

Intel T7200 @ 2.0GHz, 2GB DDR2-667, 160GB 5400.3 HDD, ATI X1700, Intel 3945 WiFi, 1.3Megapixel Webcam.. SRP $1,699.

Nice looking computer but.... I like the previous Lamborghini laptop. I haven't touch or see it in person, but this latest posting just isn't as sexy looking as the Lamborghini. Hey, I'm primarily a Mac user and looks count more than people give credit for!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
This laptop is marketed towards a completely different crowd, which is a good reason why it costs $1000 less than the VX2

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You should try to get the G1 and compare it to the G2. Could be an interesting read.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Not much sense right now... as the G1S and G2S are out at the end of the month. The G2S is similar but has some notable upgrades, such as a 1920x1200 resolution (on the same 17" screen), 200GB hard drive, T7500 2.2GHz and 8600M video cards.

The G1S will still have similar specs to this one, except downgraded, like resolution, hard drive, although the video card remains the same. If you are asking, yes, they did get rid of ATI for the next round.

Naish

E.M.I.
There are two versions of the G1S. I run the G1S-A1 (15.4" 1680x1050) now, but there is also a G1S-A2 17" version. Personally I wouldn't go for a 17" notebook, but my interests are mostly in gaming anyway.