Asus Eee

ccdarkness

Obliviot
Hope i do not repeat anyone else in this thread (maybe there was a post about this before)
What do you think about Asus Eee Notebook??? seems very nice thing to me. small, light, good looking, excelent for internet on-the-go and documents editing! i would definitely by one at this price...just to sit in a bar and have some coffe in the morning, while reading posts on techgage.com :D

sure the lack of optical drive & some bigger HDD will be a minus..but @200$ you can't complain..you always can add external drive trough USB (4xusb ports)..

so what do you think?

http://www.hothardware.com/Articles/Hands_on_with_the_ASUS_Eee/

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I am absolutely behind this project. An 8GB, ultra mobile notebook for under $300... sign me up. Like you said, this would be great for quick fixes at coffee shops, airports... places where the full power and versatility of a complete notebook is needed. Clearly this isn't going to show up in many classrooms but with that hardware, I don't see why a word processing document couldn't be installed. This is a great idea. It wasn't to long ago that the Dothan cores were kings and one at 900 MHz should be able for what the Eee is designed for.

One thing that I didn't see was the OS. At that price, its safe to assume that a Windows license is out of the question. I would guess some form of Linux but with an 8GB model, XP isn't out of the question.

I don't like the large bezel around the LCD and the back end looks childish with it being so rounded but seriously, for that price, no one has a right to complain. Kudos to Asus for making this happen.

*Edit... I just read the second page of Hot Hardware's story. It's going to be Linux but XP hasn't been ruled out. Nice.

Last edited:

ccdarkness

Obliviot
Anyway... i think it wouldn't be a problem to install XP ;) i think EEE plus 1external HDD and External DVD-RW... and you a totally on-the-go :)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
You defeat the entire purpose of the Eee if you add all of that external hardware. All I was saying was that you can easily install XP on this machine and that it would run it. It's a winner in my book.

:eek::eek:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think the name is ridiculous. Almost as bad as the Kia Cee'd in the UK. However, the device serves a purpose I guess.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I would love a unit like this. I have been on Dell's site almost daily hoping for a killer deal on a low end laptop since I won't be gaming on it. The $200 unit makes me smile in ways I haven't in a long time........

ccdarkness

Obliviot
Eee comes from from Easy... 3-Easy...i don't know exact..something like...easy to learn, easy to dunn'o what... :D