ASUS A8JS 14inch Widescreen Notebook

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
ASUS has a new notebook offering that is sure to please most. It includes a fast T7200 processor, NVIDIA 7700 Go graphics card and 1GB of ram. It's also very competitively priced at just under $1,500. Is it worth your consideration?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, there are known methods to removing stickers off electronics, but I haven't tried any of them. I removed stickers off my laptop a long time ago, which left residue that I could not end up removing. I'm sure it's possible, you just need patience and find the best way to do it.

They don't just simply come off though, if that's your question.

U

Unreg- D3SD

odd question...

Could you plz tell me the weight and size of the shipped box?

I need this info, thank you in advance for the reply, BTW nice review.

d3sdichad0-gt

U

Unregistered-D3SD

!! thanks !!

thanks for your fast reply man!.
but I would like to know also the size, you know Height, Width, Depth of the box, cause I would need to make an extra shipment and this info is required to me by the company. I know that your box is long time in the garbage, but if you could provide me this info (even an estimate) I would be very thankful.

d3sdichad0-gt

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have absolutely no idea, I never measured it and it's no longer here. I can't even give an estimate because I don't even recall what the box looked like. Sorry.

U

Unregistered-D3SD

ok thanks anyway....

haha now I waited for your reply! well thanks any way man, ... searched every way and I cant find the size..... oh well..... thanks for everything

d3sdichad0-gt

J

Joan

Build

Hi Rob,

I haven't found any reference in the review about the build of this laptop in terms of rigidity, stiffness....
Does it feel solid or is it plastiky? Does it bend or bow in much when pressed? I recently had on my hands a Toshiba Satellite with similar characteristics, that was very promising on the brochure, but it felt quite fragile when handling it. Is that the case of the AJ8?

Many thanks for your help!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's a good point Joan, and I admit I never actually pondered it. From what I recall, it was quite sturdy, it certainly didn't have a flimsy feel to it.

I actually have the laptop still here (it was sent back to me due to FedEX screwing up), so I will crack it back open later and check for you.

J

Joan

Thanks again! I look forward to your comments on that.

Regards,

Joan

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sorry for the late reply, a lot has been going on around here. I just hauled it out, and I do believe it's solid construction... I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's hard to call it "plastiky" even though most of it is plastic. I'm fussy, but I have no problems with it's build.

I'd be better able to compare if I've tried a variety of notebooks, but I've only dealt with four recently. As it is, I don't believe it's cheaply built.

MacMan

Partition Master
Gross!

ASUS has a new notebook offering that is sure to please most. It includes a fast T7200 processor, NVIDIA 7700 Go graphics card and 1GB of ram. It's also very competitively priced at just under $1,500. Is it worth your consideration?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

Seems like a nice laptop, but the stickers are totally INSANE! I don't recall ever seeing so many, and so large, stickers on a product in my life!

Such a large number stickers remines me of some sleezy hooker or something! Its rather a turn off!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've never met a sleezy hooker who had any stickers. Last time I asked for a gold star!

Oops.

U

Unregistered

Stickers!

Hi,
Just read the review, sounds great.
I have the same notebook but different specs (A8Jc). Also got the stickers, but peeled them off in five minutes. It is not hard at all once you try it, and if there would be some glue remaining, just place the sticker back on the glue and pull; it will get the glue off. I'm gonna upgrade to the A8Js, however I seemed to have been unlucky with my laptop: Hinge is broken and cracked, touch pad is not working properly, programs do not work, gaming causes computer to shut off etc. But I guess I got a lemon, Asus usually builds soild notebooks from what I have heard.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ugh, how long have you had your laptop for? Broken hinges would be ridiculous. Hopefully it was just your notebook. If it's not old, wouldn't that be under a warranty?

D

DDmonger

A8JS

I have a A8JM which is the earlier version of the A8JS some 12 months back. Recently upgraded to the A8JS and I have to say that I was quite dissapointed - my main gripe is the native resolution of 1440 x 900. Sure this high resolution is good in theory but I felt that the for the 14 inch screen size, this was a tad too ambitious. Letters come out so small its a strain to use. Tried changing the resolution but this resulted in blurry text... have since returned the laptop and am now happily using my old A8JM (native res 1200x800).

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I guess that all comes down to personal taste. Personally, I wish it had a slightly higher resolution. Especially while on the road, it's nice to be able to fit as much desktop area on your notebook as you can, without having to purchase a heavy 17" system.