Asheron's Call: Throne of Destiny Preview

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Turbine is getting ready to launch the latest expansion pack for their Asheron's Call game, entitled "Throne of Destiny". Will this expansion be enough to please current and old players of the game? Let's take a good hard look at all ToD has to offer to make that decision.

actod_logo.jpg

Feel free to read the review here, and then ask questions here! Flames/Comments/Bitching/Correction/Whining is also welcomed. To a certain degree.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

Budy do you know what GUI stands for?

It was my understanding that the "G" was for graphical not general.

As far as the additions being previewed they equate to a bone that has already been tossed and slightly chewed.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
You're right, it's graphical. That'll teach me to lay off the Sake until after the articles finished.

Yaotl

Obliviot
Great review man, as I said in the email. About time someone presented the game in a positive light!

I found performance to be absolutely horrendous in Sanamar, but I'm assuming that was just because there were about 100 people there :p

Once I got away from the main towns...i noticed very few problems other than some graphical corruption, but that was fixed by a re-log.

I'm a bit disappointed that there are no gameplay changes/additions - it feels a little stale after playing in more 'active' worlds, but AC is AC. Was the best, always will be the best. :D

Yaotl.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks man.

Yeah, Sanamar was a *little* laggy for me, but I was portal stormed at least 4 times while buying scrolls and such. Stupid me, didn't realize there was another vendor in the next part of town, which I wouldn't have got stormed from.

Great game though, get's better and better. It shows it's age, but it's still wicked.

Yaotl

Obliviot
Update:

With all graphics maxed, performance is good *outside* of Sanamar.

I tried turning all settings to their lowest, and found there to be *no* lag in Sanamar...so it seems the majority (or all) of my lag was render.......

madstork91

The One, The Only...
6 years ago... this game was probably awsome... seriously.

I can actually imagine this game being cool.

But as is, looking through a few things it just looks like a 3d version on UO with a different gameplay approach.

For being as old as it is you would think they would have ovehauled it by now into an AC2 or improved on so many finer points of gameplay it would still be the bestgame ever. Lacking both thing IMO it just seems like they are milking AC for as much as possible.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, even though they won't admit it, Turbine doesn't have the cash to overhaul the game so much, to make it look like AC2.

I'm definitely happy with it now though, it's still an improvement over before. Graphics are not everything, as they say though.