Are you ready to Take Earth Back!

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
I'm feeling rather ill at the moment... i'll probably be unable to work for a while... probably at least a week... It'll be a slow recovery though... *cough*.... uhh... maybe 2 weeks, I'll see how it goes...

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
BULLSHIT endings! Completely ruined the experience and any chance of me ever playing this series again most probably!!!:mad:

I feel like shit having wasted countless days playing ME1, ME2 and finally ME3 to get endings as fucked up as this!:mad:

Pls remove this thread! Just like i will purge everything from PC related to Mass Effect!

Sorry for the troll rant! :D
I always want simple happy endings! *sigh* Just a way to forget the real world problems for a while!

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
hQtsb.jpg

marfig

No ROM battery
You know, I really have this stuck in my throat and it needs to come out.

This is mostly your fault. I distinctly remember some people complaining since Mass Effect 1 of the game lack of choice and abundance of linearity. That it only provided an illusion and even the dialog system was one glorified Yes/No tree. Also that characters traits and personality were mostly hard coded into the game and all that in fact passed for defining a character personality wasn't nothing more than a process of discovery through dialog choices.

I also remember how the critics were usually treated by a crowd that chose to confuse their love for the game with a personal attack on their family.

Mass Effect title fits like a glove, as the accumulation of mistakes and a playing community that just chose to be distracted on purpose allowed for a company to culminate its work on such a bust. If players had stopped for a moment and realized what they had in fact in front of them, that Mass Effect was hiding, behind all the UI and story glitter, a weak implementation of freedom of choice, characters that were becoming larger than the life and a story that was starting to take itself too seriously for its own good and that was sinking into a black-hole of constant mysteries, apparent idiosyncrasies and constant unknowns (pretty much like Half-Life 2, which can't be possibly salvaged at this point), they could have in due time helped save the game.

But it didn't happen. Instead Bioware felt legitimated by its community to pursue this nonsense of fabricating an end to their story with the sole, and admitted purpose, of "getting people to talk about it" (sic). And everyone complaining was silenced behind derisive remarks on public forums.

So fans, don't be offended, but suck on it!

Brett Thomas

Senior Editor
Wow, Marfig!

I'll start this off with a statement that may stop anyone from reading the rest of my opinion: I have not played, nor do I care to play Mass Effect - 1, 2, or 3. But I have read a lot of the story and the game choices, as well as the critiques by both players and reviewers.

I'm left with a weird feeling somewhat like Marfig: the story got too big, too self-referential, and nobody said "wait, what?!" Bioware has had a history of this for a while now, and fans have not helped clip its wings back to a story that could continue to suspend disbelief.

That being said, maybe I'm missing something but I kind of feel like fans are also being a bit crappy. There are stories that are tragedies - and what is a game but an interactive story? Not every game should be a happy ending. Not every movie gives us a ray of hope (ever see Requiem for a Dream? Read Romeo and Juliet or Othello? Or any Michael Crichton novel?!)

Bioware created a story that has gripped you sufficiently that you have spent $180 and taken a personal interest and ownership in the well-being of your character and the world that you have saved. Where is the failure in that?! You (general, not you personally, Doomsday) the player didn't create the story, you participated as an observer and were given the illusion of control while a story unwound around you. To me, this is perfection of the theatrical "fourth wall" - a world so believable that you took ownership of it and your seeming impact on it.

Though my understanding of the ending in context of the game universe does make it feel out of place, the biggest complaint everyone has isn't that the lead-up to your decision is completely silly (which it is), it's that there's no real HAPPY ending that stems from the final decision. That all the fighting and survival and struggle end up with someone gettin' screwed bigtime.

And in truth, that's kind of how war goes. Sometimes Private Ryan doesn't get saved, sometimes winning the war involves blasting your own and every other involved party's land into bloody trenches and all that you get at the end is left alone to rebuild.

All the talking and arguing over the unhappy ending, to me, validates it as a writer's decision: a story has been told, believable enough to make players care THIS MUCH that their own version of Sheperd be able to finally kick back and have a beer in a world s/he saved. Every story has to end - and sometimes that's just not the ending. If you're this angry about those being your choices, you should smile - the game did a great job connecting you just like an oscar-winning film or award-winning book. It may not be happy, but it's art.

That said, I'd personally be kinda mad about the 5 minutes leading UP to that choice...I mean, seriously...W. T. F. ??

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
All I ever wanted was for my choices to lead to my Shepard to survive and live to see his human-quarian children! Because after all I've been through, I DESERVE happiness and a happy ending!
crying.gif

*weeps* :(

marfig

No ROM battery
I can certainly understand that, Doomsday. But just as Brett points out there's a far more damaging consequence to Mass Effect 3 ending; you are left clueless about the whole world you've been playing on for that past few years and you are nowhere closer to understand it and the whole drama that unfold before your eyes.

I think there's a huge mistake certain sectors of the industry are making, that in order to answer the growing demand of consumers for rich and deep stories, one needs to write complex stylish stories that purposely lack clarity endlessly winding around themselves. As if, a rich and deep story needs somehow to pay homage to 2001 Space Odyssey, Mulholland Drive and the Matrix saga all at the same time.

Brett put it very well when he mentioned stories that are too self-referential. Thanks for that Brett; I was struggling to come up with an umbrella term to describe these stories.

This type of storytelling is a trap. It's very easy to achieve. But it is extremely hard to get out from. It's bound to upset a sizable part of the audience and very sensitive to the media it is being told on. Games aren't a good vehicle for this type of storytelling. Like your disappointing (and that of many others demonstrate), we are simply not used to bad endings on computer games. And even less to games endings that leave us with even more questions than when we started.

Personally, I also think it's all a bit silly. I'm actually glad to see signs like this that storytelling in gaming is evolving into new grounds and exploring other venues. It's what makes books and films far superior entertainment media in my opinion.

But Mass Effect just feels wrong on all accounts. I always got the impression this story was cheaply implemented and even childish at some points. Meanwhile Commander Shepard isn't really a human fighting against all odds, don't feel for him. He's superman and the universe never got a chance and we should be glad we are rid of another superhero in gaming history. I find it hard to sympathize with heroes that are constantly the center of all attention throughout 3 full games. And I find it particularly hard to sympathize with heroes that died but oh-wait-he's-not-dead came back again and 3 seconds later is running inside a 0 gravity ship towards its mission of saving the freaking universe. That may serve some players, but it's the sure sign of a badly told story and a playing character that starts to become too annoying.

The problem with this industry is that we are losing sight of what brings us to playing games. As soon as a good title comes out (and Mass Effect was certainly a good title) we only want to see the good. Anyone choosing to point out the flaws is linearly dismissed and their arguments constructed as personal attacks. It's become difficult to review or properly evaluate the artistic quality of a game -- which includes its writing -- because frankly half of the population on public forums is made up of 15 year old acne ridden gaming grubs whose only concern is how many headshots they can make in 10 seconds, and who can't understand criticism as the biggest historical contribution to the evolution of computer gaming.

Take Borderlands, for instance. It's become such a fuzz the fact that Borderlands 2 is coming that if you today try to point out some of the flaws on the first game (and, despite being a great game, it has many!) you are immediately met with derisive remarks against either your persona or your opinion. And yet, some of this criticism was generally accepted as true not 3 months ago.

With this, gaming companies -- which really aren't very respecting of their consumers already -- are given a free pass to mess with our heads and produce whatever they feel sells more or, worse, makes people talk about them more.

The writing was on the wall all this time that Mass Effect storyline was becoming too much for its own good. It's like Half-Life 2 incredibly messy and poor storytelling that nonetheless will have to this day people still defending it with both fists clenched. Some people have been warning about Mass Effect. Not me, in fact. But I distinctly remember some of the criticism on public forums and certain articles of opinion on the specialized media. Those poor saps were treated like dirt. Well, here's the result.

Last edited:

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well said marfig man, well said! Cheers mate! :D
It opened my eyes to what these ppl do. Suck u in and then f**k u up the arse! Damned Corporations!

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Well if you're not happy just file a FTC complaint.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401775,00.asp
Oh God! Lmao! The guy does make some valid points but, its Bioware's property, assholes can do whatever they want with it!!

Well helloo Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition & Diablo 3!!!
biggrin.gif

^ Somethings Bioware cant screw up! :D

Edit: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221081p1.html?fb_ref=.T2hG_ZhfKDc.like&fb_source=profile_oneline

^ they just loove screwing with us don't they!

Last edited: