Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Heat is your computers worst enemy, but luckily enough there are many cooling products to make use of. We are taking a look at a new CPU cooler which uses three heat pipes that can handle heat up to 200w! Let's jump in and see how it compares to a few other S939 coolers on the market.

Discuss the review here!

Jakal

Tech Monkey
For it's price it's definitely a contender in the cooling market. The ability to change the direction of the fan is a great addition. I'm thinking of picking one up for a computer I built for my father's company.
The stock heatsink isn't doing it's job, but I blame the case and the dusty atmosphere. The way those fins are there'd be a lesser chance of clogging the blades than some of the other sinks out there.
It's a mid tower case and the size is the only thing I'm worried about. Could you tell me how far it sticks out from the motherboard? I don't want to have to rma the sink because it's too big for the case. Thanks Rob.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The heatsink itself is approx. 4 - 4 1/2 inches tall. Add that to the 1/8 of an inch that the CPU is itself and thats how tall it is. When I find my ruler, I will give you exact measurements but untill then, I hope this helps. You also have a PM.

Also, mine did catch some dust in it but where I had my case at that time was really dusty as well. Fortunatly, the fan sits far enough away from the fins that it never became a problem. I would suggest checking it every 1 or 2 months just to make sure all is well but then again, all computers should be routinely maintained I think.

Last edited:

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Well that's the issue at hand. The computer sits in a single office, which is air conditioned but the company creates power distrobution panels for large ships. So there's metal, dust, dirt and cigarette smoke going through the room almost constantly.

Here's the stats:
AMD 64 3500
1GB 2x512 Kingston
200Gb Sata
Asus A8V Deluxe
Ati 9600 xt

The computer does CAD drawings which get quite large so that's why I went with the faster processor and higher ram video card. Right now my dad is telling me that it'll start beeping then completely shut off. I told him to get a can of air duster and spray the heatsink out because it's getting too hot. Well he didn't believe me and bought a new power supply, and hard drive cooler... Now the hard drive isn't being recognized. If I wasn't 600 miles away I'd fix it but I am.. so I can't. The previous CAD pc was an ollllld gateway P1 233. They're wondering why the heat would be an issue and I told them it's because of the more powerful processor. So heat dissipation is a bigger factor.
I wish people would listen more often.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
If you can, explain to him that it isn't hard to remove the side panel and vacuum out the PC. Take the compressed air and blow into the HSF and that should do it for him. I would worry about the small 9600 fan as well. Those L shaped coolers on the XT's are dust traps as well. Simple and routine maintiance will save headaches in the future.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
lol they did that and put a fan blowing right inside the case. Yeah it worked.. until now. Just thinking of that makes me wonder if there's a bigger problem.