Arctic Cooling Copper Lite Socket A Cooler

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Still use Socket A and are in need of replacement cooling? It's time to test out Arctic Cooling's Copper Lite, which will hopefully cut down on our overall load temps. It also promises much quieter cooling than stock coolers, so let's jump to it.

ac_copperlite_logo.gif

After reading the review here, please feel free to discuss it here! Comments, questions and suggestions are most welcomed.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Socket A?! :eek:
I suppose that says enough about the subject...
Well, ok. There are guys who overclock their Athlon XPs like mad, but c'mon...
At some point, even a Socket 754 system should be so cheap... alright..g'night.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Anyone who discredits socket A is a fool. period. It's not 64 bit enabled and its not as powerful but the XP's are more than powerful enough to power todays games.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Oh I agree! It's a very cheap but cost-effective alternative when buying a complete system. But it is a dead end. I'd still buy a laptop with an Athlon XP, since I won't be doing much of anything but write and listen to some music.

U

Unregistered

flip-mode

Socket A is superb. No reason to upgrade a whole platform just so I can--what, type faster? Sorry, the incentive to upgrade isn't there. Need a whole lot more action on the 64-bit app front before its anywhere close to necessary to upgrade. Drop in a 6800GT or an X800GTO and you can play any game available at butter smooth frame rates.

As for the review, I have to admit that I have no respect at all for you rating system. 9/10 with only one degree drop in load temps? That's nothing but boosterism. Sure it's nice to have a little bit less noise, but the stock HSFs are pretty darn quiet.

I really hope you reconsider your rating system. a 10/10 should be given to products that completely transcend all expectations. 5/10 is all expectations met but not exceeded. 0/10 is a product that finds innovative ways to disappoint you.

The most I'd give this product based upon your own review is a 6.5/10. Your encouraging people to spend more money for a single degree? Boo. And to dispell another myth, AS5 will have only a negligable impact on temps. It's not going to turn a turd into gold.

U

Unregistered

flip-mode

Disregard the X800GTO from my last post since I think it is pci-e only.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Well, I had in mind the AGP limit with Socket A boards, although sure, they'll work. PCI-e is the way the industry seems intent on heading.

I agree that the scoring was way high for a tiny difference in load temp...although I decide for myself if I ever needed a product. People give rave reviews that I largely disagree with. It's nice to know that the product works as it should, but they don't present anything that makes that piece of hardware 'special.'

Word.

E.M.I.
Superb.. maybe

Unregistered said:
Socket A is superb.
Socket A is good yes, but superb to me i don't think.
I'm a crazy gamer who does more than game at the same time...... Athlon 64, my Roomie has (Athlon XP Soc A) i play CSS full settings with music and 3 Im programs running along with azureus and i play fine, however he trys and it just does not give the same effect.... sure if you don't have the money to spend on your PC and just need to get a small glimpse of power. Then go buy a socket A, but when you think of upgrading.. your going to spend alot more in the long run I would think.

But hey, thats just my opinion. :p

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I dont think that anyone in this thread has suggested going out and buying a new machine with an XP in it. I personally think that a new build would have to include a A64 or it's Intel equivelant *gasp* The cooler Rob reviewed will work nicely for anyone with an Athlon XP system that they are trying to extend the life of. Not that this cooler will technically extend the life of the CPU but it will certainly cool better than a stock cooling solution.

Drew

E.M.I.
Thank you for all the feedback on the AC Copper Lite review. I will agree that the rating scheme was overly generous in hind sight. The cooler however did perform better than the advertised numbers it would recieve (advertised was a temp improvement of .55 degrees celcius). A temperature drop of one degree is almost double the advertised improvement. Also the extremely limited overclock ability of the Socket A platform dictates that this particular cooler is putting all its hopes in the fact that it is alot quieter than the stock cooler. The noise difference is very noticeable right from start-up. So i will yeild that the rating scheme was asckew but this product is very good for older technology and not everyone has the money to invest in the latest and greates toys and they shouldn't be left out for that.

Drew

T

The Crow

Uh-Oh

*looks at his socket-A motherboard and shakes his head* what can I say, IM SOOO POOR!!! I have an Abit KV7 motherboard and its given me nothing but trouble since the day I got it!! In a few months I'll hopefully have enough money to buy a half decent CPU *shakes his head at his AMD Athlon XP 2000+ CPU* and a new motherboard too!

By the way can someone please help me out on the Logisys 3.5" Digital Thermal Controller thread!! Ive already blown-up my first one and just recieved my second one and cant afford another!

http://techgage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210&page=2