Apple's MacBook Air is Thin, So What Competes on the PC Side?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Last week, Apple released its latest iteration of the Macbook Air, and in more than one way, it's a rather explosive product. While the original MacBook Air proved to be the thinnest notebook around, the latest version takes things to an entirely new level. It's so thin, that it barely looks thicker than a pen. It might be that it's not!

Read the rest of our post and discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I can't speak for the other notebooks mentioned but the new Air is awesome. Apple has been pumping out a lot of quality products and the Air isn't any different. It does lack connections, only having power, 2 USB, video out and a headphone jack but given it's size, this is forgivable. I love how the entire case is metal, used to dissipate the heat generated by the internals.

I was at the Apple store here in Indianapolis yesterday, replacing my broken iPhone 4 and had a chance to play around with the new Air line. They seem to be winners and the line of people to purchase them was impressive.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It does lack connections, only having power, 2 USB, video out and a headphone jack but given it's size, this is forgivable.

The big problem to me is the lack of an Ethernet port. It's not so much that WiFi can be unreliable (which it can be), it's that there are bound to be times when you simply can't get online due to some stupid issue. Having an Ethernet option is, well, a good option.

Aside from that it looks solid. Overpriced as usual, but solid.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I disagree with the idea that they are overpriced. The liquid metal body that they are using on their notebooks and iMacs is a fantastic idea. There aren't exhaust ports for a fan, the body acts like a giant heatsink and disipates the heat. They have Core2 CPUs, which makes them more powerful than any netbook on the planet and they have decent GPUs from NVIDIA.

Apple has a history of being accused of over pricing their products. Until there are solid alternatives to the Air, there isn't any way to compare pricing structures.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
I bet there will be massive amounts of people needing repairs for their new airs within a month or 2 max.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I bet there will be massive amounts of people needing repairs for their new airs within a month or 2 max.

What makes you say that, out of curiosity? Apple hasn't had the greatest luck with certain launches lately, but I'd assume with a model as ambitious (and expensive) as this, it was put through its paces.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Well, look how thin the screen is, if you put it in a bag you could set something that's a weird shape between it and a book, pick up the bag and the screen could crack from the pressure. I know laptop LCDs are incredibly sensitive to pressure, one was in a bag and so far as we know nothing heavy was set on it or dropped on it and it wasn't stepped on yet somehow it cracked.

I also know that iPhones are supposed to be really strong with their front glass yet I have seen some drop from only about 3 ft and the screen would shatter. Thin aluminum also isn't really known for its great strength either.... I bet the aluminum around the screen is very thin as well so why would it be any stronger than say a fin on a heat sink?

Oh and just look at this report of a previous MBA:

The hinge had gradually gotten sloppy over the last few months (.75" of "rock back and forth" looseness when open).

One morning I OPENED my MacBook air, and CRACK! The left hinge cracks. I can't close it, for fear of making it worse. Made appointment with local apple-authorized repair place, wife drove me there with me holding Air in my lap, still open. Paid the "90 bucks to back up your data" fee, wait a couple days, and get the call: "Apple has decided that IT'S MY FAULT the hinge broke, and they offer to "fix the whole thing FOR $900".

Two weeks before, the fan had started making a very loud buzz.

Unreal. No macbook since Sunday. I bought a early rev MBP for my wife and that thing was falling apart as well. I just installed leopard onto my old PowerBook G4 1.67 - there is no way I'm paying $900 to fix what is clearly a defect.

Just wanted to corroborate your story - furiously typing this on my iPhone at 5am, so forgive any formatting errors.

Oh yeah, I left out the most hilarious part - I PAID FOR APPLECARE.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1893302&tstart=0

now that's not the actual screen but who cares if you cant really use it anyways?

And I found this little comment that applies to all mac laptops: Apple recommends using both hands when closing the lid of your Mac - one hand on each corner. It sounds silly, but if you grab one corner of the screen and pull down, you can actually break the screen.

You can grab one side or the middle on any other manufacturers laptops so why not apple laptops?

and a warning from a apple repair service: One last tip is to be very careful about what you put in the bag with your MacBook Pro. The bag should have a separate compartment for your laptop that is protected from the rest of the stuff you know will be finding its way into your fancy new bag. Don't let your cell phone, iPod or whatever push up against your MacBook Pro - the added pressure (especially when you start moving that bag around or tossing it in your car (toss = bad) can cause your MacBook Pro LCD screen to crack or at a minimum cause case damage.

If its like that with a MB how could it get better with a MBA?

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Well this particular laptop may not be overpriced...but a LOT of their stuff is..I mean..a couple months back me and my friend went onto apple's website to see what the most expensive desktop they had was. They had a build-your-own option so we went with that. finished it up with: 2x Intel Core i7 (i forget which ones, but they were the fastest they offered) processors, 64 (yes that's right) GB RAM, 4x NVIDIA GTX 480's in quad-SLI, 2 Blu-Ray burners, PCIe sound card, a couple other peripherals, and it came out to total: $16,000. yeah...way overpriced. Did some googling and price checks and we could build something even more powerful on the PC end...for less than $4,000. Does Apple overprice things? Some, yes. others, no.