Apple Updates iMac Line-up; Features Thunderbolt and FaceTime HD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Apple this week has rolled out its long-awaited iMac updates, and there are a couple of notable additions and upgrades to talk about. First is the fact that the CPUs have been upgraded to Intel's Sandy Bridge, and as referenced on the iMac product page, they can make a rather substantial improvement in most workstation tasks - up to 1.7x. In addition, and as expected, FaceTime HD has also been introduced.

apple_imac_050511.jpg

Read through the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Still weak since my i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz will own any CPU they may have in them. Also weak since there is no overclocking.

MacMan

Partition Master
ThunderBolt will be coming to everyone next year

I've seen demos of ThunderBolt in action and they are very, very impressive indeed! Unfortunately, it'll be another year before anyone other than Apple can use it. This is because it was Apple who first came up with the idea. but since they believed that Intel could do a better job and make it a 'universal' much faster, they gave it over to them as well as helping Intel to finish it, but, for competive reasons, they demanded a one year exclusivity for ThunderBolt. Don't worry, you'll seeing ThunderBolt on Sony, Dell, Asus and home-brewed machines soon enough!

With Apple, unlike most other companies, it's not about having the 'highest specs at the lowest price', but rather having the best 'user experience'. After all, a cheap Ford will get you from point A to B cheaper and just as fast as a Mercedes, but the latter will get you there more comfortably and with more style! If your into style, elegance and luxury, then Apple is the way to go, and for me, personally, well I'm hoping to buy the high-end 27 inch model with the 2GB mechanical drive + 256 GB SSD, and a 2GB graphic card and 16BG of RAM in the next month or so, and maybe even sooner? I was going to install 32GB or RAM until I saw that it costs close to 2 grand!, and since Apple's gear is already high-sky, no thank you!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Still weak since my i7 2600k @ 4.8Ghz will own any CPU they may have in them. Also weak since there is no overclocking.

Probably better that they don't. It would be just like overclocking a laptop... most laptops already have cooling systems that are designed to be barely adequate, a few can't even handle sustained loads. Overclocking would just cook the system and lead to failures.