Apple Sells 2 Million Copies of Leopard in Three Days

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
Apple is a company that loves their huge numbers, so they wasted no time to let the world know that they sold 2,000,000 copies of their latest OS X, Leopard, over the weekend. No matter how you look at it, 666,000 copies per day (Fri - Sun) is an impressive feat and once again proves that Apple fans don't sit around when a new product is released. I'd be interested to see numbers in the next week and see how fast (or slow) they dwindle.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
osx_leopard_box_news_logo.jpg
</td></tr></tbody></table>
CUPERTINO, California-October 30, 2007
-Apple(R) today announced that it sold (or delivered in the case of maintenance agreements) over two million copies of Mac OS(R) X Leopard since its release on Friday, far outpacing the first-weekend sales of Mac OS X Tiger, which was previously the most successful OS release in Apple’s history. Sales included copies sold at Apple’s retail stores, Apple Authorized Resellers, the online Apple Store(R), under maintenance agreements and bundled with new Mac(R) computers. Leopard is the sixth major release of Mac OS X and is packed with more than 300 new features.

Source: Apple Press Release

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
I've also read today that someone has already hacked the OS so that you can run it on a standard PC, that took less than 24 hours to complete.

sbrehm72255

Tech Monkey
Wait, you mean Apple is selling an OS that you can't run on a standard PC? Their systems use Intel chips now... :confused:

The OS reads the Mac's ACPU and if it's not their, the Mac OS won't install, the hack gets rid of this requirement and allows the OS to install on any PC. This hack/patch is still fairly new, so if you're interested in the Mac OS, I'd give it a bit of time to mature a little so they can work the bugs out.

http://dailyapps.net/2007/10/hack-attack-install-leopard-on-your-pc-in-3-easy-steps/