Apple Releases iTunes LP SDK

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
A couple of months ago, Apple released a new format for music on its iTunes music store, called iTunes LP. Like the albums that LP denotes, iTunes LP was designed to give people more than just the music to go along with their purchase, such as unique video, lyrics, photos and so forth. In a sense, purchasing an iTunes LP album would be similar to buying the real thing from the store, except that it's all digital.

Soon after Apple launched the format, rumors were fierce that the company charged an arm and a leg for the privilege of making one - a rumor that Apple fiercely shot down. Late last week, the company proved that it was just a rumor, by releasing the full SDK, called "TuneKit", to allow musicians and record companies the ability to make their own iTunes LPs. Included are full instructions and guidelines, and to create one, you'll have to understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

Part of the SDK is pre-made templates, so for those who don't want to bother with an elaborate design (artwork aside), it's as simple as dropping files into place, and packaging it all together to send along for Apple's approval. One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not anyone can make an iTunes LP and send it to friends to use. This would apply to indie bands, and those without labels at all. I haven't seen mention of it, though, so Apple might be keeping it exclusive.

The release of this SDK is important to the success of the format, although it's hard to know just how much of a success it's been up to this point. Being a pro-music store kind of guy, no digital package is ever going to take away the lustre of going right to the store to pick up the latest album I want, but I really have nothing against this format. As long as pricing keeps reasonable, the included extras might be worth it for some people.

apple_itunes9_090909_thumb.jpg

The packages use standard HTML, CSS, and JavaScript to create the user interface and interaction, so any competent Web developer can put together an iTunes LP or Extra as long as the supporting content conforms to Apple's standards. However, Apple is also providing a JavaScript framework called TuneKit that it developed while making the first iTunes LPs. Handy templates for iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras are available as well, making it a matter of dropping in "your own metadata, artwork, audio files, and video files."

Source: Ars Technica

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That's nuts. I say once again... Apple is in the news more for bad things lately than good. What a turn-around. You used to be hard-pressed to find a "bad" story about the company, but lately, there's a new one every other week.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Yep. Apple is tarnishing their shiny white image just a bit as of late. I was surprised when they actively defended AT&T from Verizon's "There's a map for that" ads... AT&T being a company that filed a lawsuit overnight over the ad based upon the only thing that stood a chance of holding water (that it was misleading... the map was taken directly from AT&T's site)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
(that it was misleading... the map was taken directly from AT&T's site)

Whoa, seriously? You mean the 3G map came from AT&T's site? If so, that's ridiculous... it's a good thing that the judge told them to basically quit their whining. I'm glad that's how it played out. Sure, Verizon might have used the map in such a way that it would mislead some people, but they weren't lying about anything... the facts are there.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I agree completely, the entire thing was ridiculous. But a very smart move by Verizon, because just about everyone knows of that single commercial now. AT&T played right into their hands. ;)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree completely, the entire thing was ridiculous. But a very smart move by Verizon, because just about everyone knows of that single commercial now. AT&T played right into their hands. ;)

Have you seen AT&T's retort? The new commercials have some actor (I don't know who he is, but he's recognizable) throwing postcards all over this huge map, as he states where there's cellular support. As you'd imagine, at the end of the commercial, the entire map is loaded to the brim with postcards.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Have you seen AT&T's retort? The new commercials have some actor (I don't know who he is, but he's recognizable) throwing postcards all over this huge map, as he states where there's cellular support. As you'd imagine, at the end of the commercial, the entire map is loaded to the brim with postcards.

Yes, and what is hilarious is if you listen to Luke Wilson's words (In the postcard commercials) he is only talking about general cellular coverage.... not 3G. Verizon was only talking about 3G, and they had a good point about who had better coverage area with it. They neatly sidestepped the issue at hand, and most people I've talked with didn't catch it.

AT&T really screwed themselves over with this. It also doesn't help they fell back to dead last in Consumer Report's 2009 satisfaction/call quality survey. I've been experiencing reception issues with my own 2G phone that I never used to have before.

Our capstone presentation was on AT&T (we naturally presented against Verizon :D) so we had to cover much of this in our industry/company analysis. AT&T's network uses GPRS, EDGE, GSM, TDMA, and lastly 3G. In 2010 AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will begin limited rollout of 4G LTE, with widespread adoption planned for 2011. Verizon has better 3G coverage and better call quality, while AT&T offers higher speeds with 3G (when it works). People can surf the web while in a call on AT&T's network, but not on Verizon's network.

So, listen to that Luke Wilson commercial again, and realize heis "97%+ coverage" statement is including GPRS, EDGE, TDMA, 2G, 3G, and GSM coverage against just Verizon's 3G coverage... :p

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar said:
Yes, and what is hilarious is if you listen to Luke Wilson's words (In the postcard commercials) he is only talking about general cellular coverage.... not 3G.

That's just it, and it's too bad so many customers don't notice the difference.

Kougar said:
Our capstone presentation was on AT&T (we naturally presented against Verizon ) so we had to cover much of this in our industry/company analysis. AT&T's network uses GPRS, EDGE, GSM, TDMA, and lastly 3G. In 2010 AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will begin limited rollout of 4G LTE, with widespread adoption planned for 2011. Verizon has better 3G coverage and better call quality, while AT&T offers higher speeds with 3G (when it works). People can surf the web while in a call on AT&T's network, but not on Verizon's network.

Haha, you just answered a bunch of questions I didn't know I had. I was wondering about 4G... had no idea the rollout would begin so soon, though.