Apple Posts Best-Ever Quarter; $46.3B in Revenue

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Apple held its Q1 2012 earnings call yesterday, and the talked-about results can be summed up with just one word: "wow". Surpassing all analyst expectations, Apple posted $46.3 billion in revenue and $13.06 billion in profits, resulting in a year-over-year gain of 118%, a new record for the company. With these profits, Apple now has $97.6 billion in the bank - enough to buy many a country.

apple_cash_techcrunch_012012.jpg

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

MacMan

Partition Master
I found it amazing that the day would come when one Apple product, the iPhone, would generate more revenue than all of Microsoft's many products combined, including, of course, Windows, the most excellent Xbos, Office, Windows Phone 7, etc.

In that light, I guess I shouldn't find it too surprising to read that the iPhone, in the past three short months, has not only doubled its market share in the U.S., but it has now surpassed all of the other Android phones market share combined.The iPhone now takes in 44.9% of the market compared to Android's combined market share of 44.8%!

http://www.businessinsider.com/boom-apple-passes-android-to-take-the-market-share-lead-in-the-us-says-kantar-2012-1

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The iPhone now takes in 44.9% of the market compared to Android's combined market share of 44.8%!

http://www.businessinsider.com/boom-apple-passes-android-to-take-the-market-share-lead-in-the-us-says-kantar-2012-1

Haha... kind of sad that all of the other brands fight over the other 10.3%.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Given the rather sudden passing on of Steve Jobs (of which Rick Perry has yet to learn, apparently) occurred last quarter, it will be interesting to see just how Apple performs for Q1 this year. It was surprising to see so many of Apple's not as substantial market segments "explode" like they did last quarter, but the genuine trick will be if they can do it again.

Glider

Coastermaker
Not that hard to understand if you can create a hype about stuff that is more expensive then its weight in gold...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Given the rather sudden passing on of Steve Jobs (of which Rick Perry has yet to learn, apparently) occurred last quarter, it will be interesting to see just how Apple performs for Q1 this year. It was surprising to see so many of Apple's not as substantial market segments "explode" like they did last quarter, but the genuine trick will be if they can do it again.

Unless something happens that's just ridiculous, I don't see Apple's growth slowing down. I'm also less concerned about the new CEO, because I think Steve got the company to a point where the CEO just doesn't matter, as long as R&D keeps up. Most people who purchase Apple products don't care who the CEO is... and as Glider says, it's hype that sells products (something that Apple is great at drumming up, even though it doesn't try to).

MacMan

Partition Master
Unless something happens that's just ridiculous, I don't see Apple's growth slowing down. I'm also less concerned about the new CEO, because I think Steve got the company to a point where the CEO just doesn't matter, as long as R&D keeps up. Most people who purchase Apple products don't care who the CEO is... and as Glider says, it's hype that sells products (something that Apple is great at drumming up, even though it doesn't try to).

I think you hit the nail on the head again Rob! Apple is the best at drumming up excitement. They made an art of it and could sell anything that was nothing for something! I'm not sure what in hell I just said, but I like it nonetheless!

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Kind of like convincing people to buy iPads when they already have laptops and cell phones (maybe even an iPhone). What do you think? Is there a point to having so many different PCs? Also, convincing people to buy an updated version of the same product each year.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member

I think my post was completely misunderstood. My point was that Steve Job's loss likely caused a spike in sales. Given Apple saw a universal increase in all categories across the board, I'm almost sure of it.

Such things have happened before in history when a well-known, respected person tied to some company or organization passes on. But that aside, they are still one-time events and I'll be curious to see how Apple performs in the next year as a comparison such wild results.

That ties into my next point, that Apple's huge record-breaking results was in fact unusual. For several quarters as viewed over the past few years, Apple has been LOSING sales in several segments, Macs and iPods specifically. In fact, Techgage just posed a news article about Apple's Macs sales not that long ago. The iPods in particular are telling... Apple went from an all time LOW of 9.05 million, to a whooping 19.45 million iPod sales in one single quarter. This dwarfs the typical, expected gains seen in past years over the holiday season, and it was in Apple's worst performing segment that had been dwindling downwards for years because of the iPhone. Apple did not even release a new generation of iPods to explain this. So again, this ties back into my earlier theory that something else was up. A month of very bright publicity combined with a biography about Jobs as much as his company certainly would've provided some sort of boost, I think the only question is just how much...

As for the future of Apple with the new CEO, as you said I don't think theres much doubt left there. Steve Jobs ensured there was enough stuff to continue Apple's current trends for the next year at least, and sown a few seeds/projects for well beyond that. This one in particular would be market shattering if they can take it all the way. http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...de-light-field-camera-championed-by-lytro.ars

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Apple will likely continue to grow, allbeit at a reduced rate, for at least the next three years, since it will still have product designs stretching out that far. It's at the 5 year mark when we'll see if it was 'all Jobs' or not and whether the company can continue on its innovation warpath. The tell-tale sign will be if it decides to increase its litigation expendature rather than innovate further.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Will have to see. Apple has always been litigation heavy to protect their products, but I agree.

Articles like this one don't provide much encouragement though!