Apple Acquires Low-Power Chip Maker P.A. Semi

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
In a surprise move, Apple has acquired fabless chip maker P.A. Semi, who specialize in low-powered chips. P.A. Semi's founder, Dan Dobberpuhl, was the lead designer for both the StrongARM and DEC Alpha processors, and the companies current team consists of engineers who worked on AMD's Opteron, Intel's Itanium and also Sun's UltraSPARC.

This move is an interesting one thanks to Apple's strong relationship with Intel. With Atom now rolling out, speculation was that Apple would begin using the new low-powered chips in future iPhone and iPod revisions, but with this acquisition, it's certainly not looking that way. According to Forbes, one of the reasons for the purchase could be due to Atom's popularity, and with Apple's own chip maker, it would help the company to differentiate their product from the hundreds of clones available.

P.A. Semi's processors, "PWRficient", are based on a similar architecture that Apple left behind right before moving in with Intel, that arch being Power. If these chips will indeed be used in future Apple devices, then it may prove difficult for hobbyist developers. It's much easier to code an application for a variety of devices that share the same CPU architecture, so if the iPhone begins using a Power-based chip, it could prove great for Apple, bad for developers. It's still much too early to speculate, however.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
pa_semi_company_logo_042308.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
The decision to center the iPhone design around a chip that Apple could own marks a significant strategic choice by Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs, and is aimed at ensuring Apple can continue to differentiate its flagship phone as a raft of competitors flood the market. According to a source affiliated with the chip company, Jobs and Senior Vice President Tony Fadell led the tiny group of executives who spearheaded the acquisition, which included negotiations that took place in Jobs' home.

Source: Forbes

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
This really sounds like another Apple/IBM PowerPC all over again.

I'm be rather surprised if Apple can create anything better than Via's Isaiah or Intel's Atom. Or, by the time they do the next version of Atom will be out and Intel will be rolling in it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's a strange move, that's for sure. I think most of it has to do with Apple's desire to become self-sufficient. They'd get rid of Intel entirely if they could create their own efficient CPU.

MacMan

Partition Master
Hell if I know?

Hell if I know what Apple is up to, but Steve just told a major newspaper that Apple has no desire to get rid of Intel. Apple has been the only company ever to change completely from one cpu, not only once, but three times now! I am not too sure they want to bet on trying that again for number four.. that would tick off just too many people - like millions of them who recently switched from Windows!

I think they might want to build special chips, chips that would make it impossible for cloners to create Mac clones such as Psystar that just released a video of their $399 clone running a high end game. Some are saying that the U.S. Department. of Defense might have a word or two before it's all said and done. They might have to get Apple to agree to keep producing chips for the U.S. military which has come to depend on the companies chips, but then again, what in hell do I know?

Video of Psystar clones running Leopard OS X; Ubuntu and Windows

http://www.psystar.com/

MacMan

Partition Master
What is Apple Up To - Hell if I know?

Hell if I know what Apple is up to, but Steve just told a major newspaper that Apple has no desire to get rid of Intel. Apple has been the only company ever to change completely from one cpu to another successfully, not only once, but three times now! I am not too sure they want to bet on trying that again for number four.. that would tick off just too many people - like millions of them who recently switched from Windows!

I think they might want to build special chips, chips that would make it impossible for cloners to create Mac clones such as Psystar that just released a video of their $399 clone running a high end game. Some are saying that the U.S. Department. of Defense might have a word or two before it's all said and done. They might have to get Apple to agree to keep producing chips for the U.S. military which has come to depend on the companies chips, but then again, what in hell do I know?

Video of Psystar clones running Leopard OS X; Ubuntu and Windows

http://www.psystar.com/

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Are you saying they are interested in creating special chips that would be designed for the sole purpose of deciding on whether or not Apple OS X could be run? That would be an odd use of all that cash.

I am very curious to see what the DoD will say regarding that purchase. Since they technically have a little power to call shots, and they do want those chips, it will be interesting. My question is, why does Apple want PA Semi to stop making those chips at all? It's their core business... just seems a bit odd to purchase a company in order to cancel all of their products and feed on their engineers. If PA Semi's products were in some way competing with Apple's, I'd understand it more.

MacMan

Partition Master
Possibly to enhance Core OS X Technologies?

Again, I have no idea what Apple is up to, but according to some it could be just trying to differentiate Apple made Macs from any clones, or as I said, to maybe make it difficult or next to impossible for clones to compete?

Others think it may be because of iChat, Apple's full-screen, 1080 capable video chat. By customizing certain chips, it will make OS X core technologies such as Core Animation II, Core Audio and Core Video, faster and cheaper. According to a several sources, iChat will be the next big driver for Apple. It already is scheduled for the 3G iPhone, so this may play a big factor in Apple's purchasing plans.

Steve said that it was to obtain key patents and engineering staff, which no doubt is in part the case. What ever, we will just have to wait and see what Jobs has up his sleeve, because you never know with a guy like him who thinks out of the box half of the time?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1128

file:///Users/dew/Desktop/Todays%20Slide%20Aside:%20Apple%20Healthiest%20Tech%20Co.%20Ever,%20Amazon%20Spectacularly%20Well%20Positioned:%20Tech%20Ticker,%20Yahoo!%20Finance.webarchive

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Starting to sound like Apple is interested in some customized IE specialized chips. Not to use in their Mac systems, but for some more specialized purpose.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
A laptop that can run for a full day without a recharge... thats what they want.

Ludacris? Maybe... but it will happen my friends. (sp on that as I cannot get a google search on it as the rapper is every F#$%ing were)

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Ludicrous. :)

And I think that day is already here, once Intel's Atom shows up in midsize laptops that hold a 9-12 cell battery.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Ludicrous. :)

And I think that day is already here, once Intel's Atom shows up in midsize laptops that hold a 9-12 cell battery.
What about the back pack that has rechargable batteries and a solar panel ( on the back ) that recharges as you use.

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Not exactly portable, and I don't plan to use my laptop in the sun because almost every laptop is hard to see in sunlight anyway. ;)

Back in 2005 Gateway was selling a cheap laptop that included a 9 or 12 cell battery, and had the option of an additional battery instead of an optical drive. Reportedly both batteries would give it well over 5 hours of battery life (Gateway claimed 9+ hours), but because hard info were so scarce I went with a cheaper Dell instead. Even the classrooms often have plugs available in some seats if need be.