Antec P182 Performance Mid-Tower

U

Unregistered

Tri Cool fans

On the antec site it is mentioned that they can be attatched to the MB.
Can these fans in the 182 be attatched to the MB for BIOS control of fan speed?

U

Unregistered

thanks for the review

Hi Rob ....

I do not understood how you fit the space between videocard and HDD ............ the HDD are "disappeared" ...ahahahaa !! ... could you explain again ??

I'm currenly planning my next rig and the Antec P182 was is a strong, solid contender.

My PSU: 430w antec true power 2.0
My Videocard: evga 8800 gt 512 mb
My Mobo: Asus P5E

sorry for my poor english

thanks again

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I do not understood how you fit the space between videocard and HDD ............ the HDD are "disappeared" ...ahahahaa !! ... could you explain again ??

You don't have anything to worry about. The 8800GT is about 2" shorter than the 8800GTX, so you will not run into the same problem I did. The 8800GTX's length forced me to put the hard drives down below and remove the middle bay altogether... kind of foolish, but that's to be expected with a standard ATX.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Thanks for the link! Since the width is a lot better... I think that would fit. I'll look for it on a Canuck e-tailer since I need to order a few things already.

U

Unregistered

Antec P182 versus SOLO

hello,

both cases ( Antec P182 and Antec SOLO ) have been reviewed on this site last year
both scored very well.. and except for the price and maybe more space in the P182 I don't see much difference.

I'm considering putting the following items in my new case:
motherboard: asus p5e-vm (micro-atx)
graphic card: asus n8800gt top 700mhz
memory: kingston hyperx ddr2 800mhz 2x2gb
psu: Enermax Modu82+ - 525W
cpu: intel e8400 3ghz
cpu fan: undecided

the goal of course is too have a really silent box with the best cooling..
which case would you recommend?

thanks,
Eric

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll let someone else with better chassis knowledge give a definitive answer, but I'm pleased with the Antec P182, and it's the reason I own two of them.

What's the reason for going with an eATX motherboard, though? If you have a mid-tower case, it seems more sensible to go with a full-featured board, unless it's pricing that's the concern.

Your part choices look good though.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Merlin is correct, between the two only the Antec Solo offers Micro-ATX form factor support.

U

Unregistered

well I only chose this mainboard because it had integrated graphics and a hdmi port
thinking ahead of time in case I would recycle it as a multimedia box under my tv
the immediate purpose is to build a silent gaming pc that will sit in a bedroom

I couldn't find an equivalent mb in normal ATX form factor

the ASUS P5E-V HDMI has the following specs which appeal to me:

Support Intel next generation 45nm Multi-core CPU
LGA775 socket for Intel Core™2 Quad / Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo
Intel G35 / ICH9R with Intel Fast Memory Access Technology
Onboard HDMI Connector
Dual-channel DDR2 800/667/533 MHz
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3500 integrated

anyone would like to suggest something else?

now I just returned to the Antec site to read the SOLO et P182 descriptions..
it's clearly mentionned that micro and standard ATX motherboards are supported.
did anyone experience the contrary?

E.

U

Unregistered

front cover open to play dvd - is that a problem?

hi, late to the thread. i see the front cover has to be opened to play dvd/cds. is that a big hassle or not, over time after time? thinking bout getting this case now as its only $109.

btw what are the 2 colors of this site? I guessed yellow and blue but that was not correct

Msongs aka unregistered

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I will have to change that question... it's "orange and blue", or some variant of. There are like eight variations that will work, but I didn't think people might think yellow. Poor choice of a question on my part.

I use this case on my main PC, and don't have a problem with that. To be honest, I don't use the bay THAT often (like 10 times a month, perhaps), and no, I don't find it a hassle to open and close. The clean look of the chassis negates that hassle for me. The absolutely only complaint I have is that I wish the case was about an inch longer, but that's a personal qualm. I still love the case as much as the day I reviewed it.

Edit: To keep things simple, I added those answers to the question, so orange or yellow will work. There are more than one question though, so if one happens to stump (the others are easy though), you can just refresh the page.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

here's another p182 pictorial/tutorial...

from dpreview a step by step with pics.

btw on yours there is a little blue rectangle with 3 fans, is that some kind of memory cooler system?

Msongs

PS - my p182 and mobo etc arriving 12-29. Your tutorial will be very helpful for installation. now if i knew more about all that bios stuff... :)

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That fan is indeed a RAM fan... that one in particular is Corsair's DOMINATOR flow fan, although other companies produce them as well. I tend to like Corsair's the most due to its look and clamping mechanism.

As for the BIOS stuff, don't hesitate to ask for help, although this particular thread isn't the right place. Posting that kind of stuff would be more appropriate in the motherboards section.