Antec 1000W Quattro... dead.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I've never had a power supply die within two months of use before... but I guess there's a first time for everything. I purchased (yes, I actually bought something) an Antec TruePower Quattro 1000W early last year for use in our Skulltrail article, after which point it was thrown in the closet since it wasn't needed. At that time, it had about two weeks worth of use under its belt. I should note that the unit gave me problems even then (it was a known issue that the PSU had problems with NVIDIA 8-series cards).

When I stumbled on a new chassis to use for my personal machine, I decided to haul the PSU back out of the closet, since I could actually fit it in. Well, earlier today, I went to go grab a coffee, only to come back to a dead machine. It wouldn't boot whatsoever. The motherboard lights acknowledged that power was getting through to the board, but that's about the extent of the PSU's usefulness.

There was no smell or anything like that... just a dead PSU. Sure wasn't the hassle on a Sunday afternoon I was looking for, but I'm at least back up and running thanks to a Corsair 1000HX.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
/me puts away the explosives.

Sorry to hear about your troubles man. Nothing was fried, so all is good, except that stupid PSU that soon will smell or rotten something in the dumpster.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
What bugs me is that I was out of the room when it happened, so I have no idea what happened exactly. Could have been some component that "popped", but I didn't hear anything from the kitchen. I'm confident it was just a faulty PSU... it's known for having issues, so in all honesty, it dying wasn't a major surprise.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
Nothing else was taken out by it? I have had a few PSUs that died and so did the mother board on 2 occasions, but I was never sure who killed who.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No, I'm fortunate there... no hardware was affected at all. I've been lucky where that's concerned, because it's been a long while since I've had a piece of hardware die because of another piece of hardware. I've even had motherboards burn out while in use and the other hardware still be fine.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Not even going to claim the warranty on it, then throw the refurbed unit onto eBay? Or tried jumpstarting it without it hooked up to anything?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I did jump-start it... still dead. I wouldn't have chucked it without testing it that way first. As for the warranty, I can't be bothered. It's way too much of a hassle to just make a few bucks off of eBay. Not to mention the potential future hassle of having the refurb blow up for the purchaser... I don't trust this PSU, at all.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That line of PSU's is one of Antec's premier units, if it was crap then pretty much everything they make is equal or worse quality depending on the series. I just find it odd because that is still a $250 PSU that uses better than average components inside.

I've had plenty of cheap and not well built Antec PSU's, but the NeoHE series was pretty decent... assuming you didn't use an ASUS motherboard with one anyway.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
Why............why would u buy an Antec PSU man,*snif snif* whhyyyyyyyy wooud u do zatt to urseelf!! :eek:

lol! anyways, Cooler Master and Corsair FTW!!! (For Tha Win i.e!):D

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Kougar: That might be true, but the PSU rubbed me the wrong way since the very beginning, and as petty as it is, I'm just glad to see it gone. It was a last-minute purchase because I -needed- a high-power PSU available to handle SLI on Skulltrail, and then I got it home to find out that it was pretty-well incompatible in that regard, despite the fact that it claimed SLI support. It was a huge waste of $200, I can tell you that much.

Doomsday said:
Why............why would u buy an Antec PSU man,*snif snif* whhyyyyyyyy wooud u do zatt to urseelf!!

I had one day to purchase a huge PSU, and this is a small city. That's the answer ;-)