AMD price cuts announced

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Image courtesy of DailyTech. The new price of the 5000+ makes me really, really want to get one after the price drop. I need an AM2 anyway, so this is the perfect time to wait a few weeks and snatch one up.

Because of the low prices though, it may prove to make 4x4 a great bargain. Imagine two 5000+'s for $700. The question is whether or not even THAT will beat out the E6700. Time will tell.

Attachments

• amd_072306_pricing.jpg
    amd_072306_pricing.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 848

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Woot!

I might have to upgrade my Athlon rig after the Conroe machine is built. That 4600+ is looking like a steal for $224 US. It's good to see that AMD is combatting Intel so competitively. This ought to help AMD in the long run until they can come out with something to combat Conroe.

Everyone benefits from a Price war...well, everyone being end users like you and I!

leecho7

Partition Master
Booyah! I'm glad I waited on the processor. This is what I'm talking about. Although, I have no idea what I'm talkin about.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Your talking about saving some of your hard earned money!

I am really liking these price cuts and am honestly surprised that they are as low as they are. I was expecting some significant cuts but this is far more than even I thought.

It is also sad that the once mighty 3500+ (S939) will soon be selling for under a hundred dollars. That was the first A64 chip I had. Oh how the times have changed.

Good for AMD for doing this. I hope it keeps them in the game when Conroe drops. They aren't going anywhere but hopefully these price drops will keep their numbers high enough while their engineers work the next procs out to production.