AMD + ATI: What could it mean for us?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If there was ever a merger to pay attention to, it should be this one. If the acquisition goes through, what does that mean for consumers and the PC hardware industry in general? Will things get better, or turn out for the worse?

After reading the article, feel free to flame me here.

U

Unregistered

don't AMD and Intel share tech? so why should intel worry
Nvidia should be worry there be no need for them/ or be left out if intel can get hands on ATI thx to AMD.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Intel and AMD share tech? I don't know what you mean... I haven't heard of such a thing before. They are the top two leading -competing- CPU companies... what would they share?

madmat

Soup Nazi
Yes, they do have a long standing agreement to share technologies. This is why AMD procs have MMX/SSE/SSE2 and SSE3. This is also why the Intel CPU's are using AMD's X64 technology.

This goes (again) back to the days of when AMD was making chipsets for Intel and also a distributer of Intel CPUs. Good times, good times.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ahh yes, -those- techs. Well, I don't think those really matter. If AMD gains a lot more of the market due to whatever happens, it's going to hurt Intel regardless of what tech they share.

The sketchiest thing right now is whats going to happen with NVIDIA right off the bat. They have so many side projects going anyway... I doubt they have anything to really worry about.

madmat

Soup Nazi
If (and a very big if here) ATI does by some miracle get bought up by AMD AMD won't lose anything as far as nVidia is concerned. AMD makes up nV's biggest market share as far as chipset sales goes and since the only way you can run SLI is by nVidia only supporting the nV chipsets they'd stand to lose way too much income by snubbing AMD.

Honestly with the capital expenditures AMD has been making lately I doubt that their investors will welcome any bids to buy another company at the present time.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
i think this is terrible news.
1}AMD burns most /all of their cash on secondry business that has a low margin,= maybe leaving them unable to fully fund the R&D and Mfg.ing of products for either.
2} intel must either pay AMD for GPU and Chipsets, or go with Nvidia or intel only GPU's=less market choices.

I am a little suprized that Intel didn't jump in and out bid AMD
they have plenty of cash, and would love to get money from AMD for chipsets, not that they(intel) really need another chipset or GPU division, but it would block/limit AMD

U

Unregistered

What it means is poor service for both product lines

AMD clearly does not have the desire to provide the level of support ATI used to, just by viewing its web site. Everything is geared toward steering the customer away from getting near a human being, obviously to cut costs, and AMD support has never been stellar anyway.

It's too bad because I found ATI support pretty good in the past and their web site among the better vendor sites. Time to switch back to Intel and Nvidia I guess and pay the price.