AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition: This one goes to 11

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
AMDZone managed to overclock the new Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition to 3.3GHz on air-cooling, and it smokes both an Athlon 64 X2 6000+ and a FX-62 in testing:

See it do it.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
This chip intrigues me if for no other reason than it has an unlocked multiplier. That and it's prices quite nicely.

AMD has also done a decent job of marketing it by labeling it the "Black Edition." There is something about the word black that has an edge about it. Even Intel packaged their Extreme Edition chips in a black package. It just looks and sounds bad ass. It would be fun to get this chip and play around with it but thats where the enjoyment would end as I would get up and go back to my Core 2 chip.

It's also sad that the FX-62 is still a relevant chip anymore, even if it's only against other AMD CPUs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Might be good for those who already have an AM2 motherboard, but 3.3GHz is still not that impressive when Core 2 Duo's for an even lower price can achieve much better frequencies.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I DONT AGREE A INTEL MY BE CHEAPER AND LITTLE BIT FASTER BUT IT DOESNT PERFORM AS WELL AS AMD.I KNOW I HAD ONE,

The mis-informed speak.

AMD is cheaper when you are looking for a budget system, but the lowest end Intel CPU can out-overclock and out-perform the highest end AMD setup. Add to that the Phenom which is really a pile of garbage (personal experience with one) then you'll see that AMD is merely the best low budget PC. They are plenty powerful enough for sure, but they have nothing that can beat Intel now.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The mis-informed speak.

AMD is cheaper when you are looking for a budget system, but the lowest end Intel CPU can out-overclock and out-perform the highest end AMD setup. Add to that the Phenom which is really a pile of garbage (personal experience with one) then you'll see that AMD is merely the best low budget PC. They are plenty powerful enough for sure, but they have nothing that can beat Intel now.
I dont think I could have said it better.
Just another AMD finatic trying to survive the onslought of the big league

Pooof _-_-_-- Gone