AM2 Sempron 2800+ OC'ing

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's chips like these that offer the budget consumer some great overclocking. For a 1.6GHz chip that overclocks easily to 2.4GHz, I'd say that's one superb sub-$100 CPU.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I believe the Sempron was originally a mobile processor, which would explain the excellent overclocking results. The cpus are allowed to clock themselves up to their original settings for maximum performance. Much like the Opterons, the Semprons have a bit higher quality standards, and would allow for higher clock speeds. Impressive to say the least.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, the chip Legion Hardware has isn't THAT impressive, really. I remember Eclipse showing me a shot of a 1.8GHz Sempron doing 3.0Ghz, on socket 754 I believe. Either way, budget doesn't always mean crap anymore.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Well, there's no stress from my grandmother, but I do love and miss the air conditioning. The hot water is less of an issue, and I'm building an outdoor shower. Sun heated water, cheap, reliable, and works. Everyone's got their idiosyncrecies, and my grandpa is pretty set in his ways, as most old people. So far it's been ok. Had to declock my pc back to stock speeds. It's hitting 40+ at idle, but when the air temp is 85+ :(. I'd leave the side off but the dust is really bad. So overall not nice for a pc, and I can hardly stand it, but I shouldn't be here for very much longer.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jakal said:
It's hitting 40+ at idle, but when the air temp is 85+ :(. I'd leave the side off but the dust is really bad. So overall not nice for a pc, and I can hardly stand it, but I shouldn't be here for very much longer.

I hear you there. I've had my room hit 92+ lately, and it's unbareable. At that point, I could care less about the PC's and care more about surviving, heh.

Glad to hear things are -ok-. Hopefully you can get your ass out of there soon.