Addonics Introduces External Dual Blu-ray/HD-DVD Reader

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
If you are a movie fan on a relative budget, choosing between Blu-ray and HD-DVD is an arduous chore. Luckily, there are few solutions out there to help ease the pain. As we first saw back at CES '07, LG introduced both a set-top and computer drive capable of handling both formats. The downside? Launch prices were around $999, and were for quite a while.

Much has changed since then though, and now LG has the same drive available for $299, which can make your decision a lot easier. But how about the mobile movie-buff? Addonics to the rescue, with their triple-format external drive. The "Zebra" can handle Blu-ray and HD-DVD, in addition to DVD, with performance that's on par with the rest.

The Zebra uses either a Firewire or Firewire/USB 2.0 combination to your computer and can be purchased for $409 or $429, depending on the connection-type you are looking for.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
addonics_bluray_hddvd_121407.jpg

</td></tr></tbody></table>
This latest Addonics optical storage solution allows your PC to play and access practically all type of DVD or CD contents - Blu-ray disc, HD DVD disc, regular DVD and CD in various file formats. It is also a high speed DVD+/-RRW and CDRW burners. You can now turn your laptop or desktop computer into a high definition cinema and enjoy the high definition video quality and the dynamic sound effect that comes in the Blu-ray or HD DVD.

Source: Addonics

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
At least they had the IQ to use eSATA for a connection.
USB and Firewire are almost outdated already.
IED or PATA equipment is now on the shelves like a yard sale.
I accidently pick up a dvd burner and took it back because it was PATA
for a SATA Samsung DVD/CD burner for the next machine.
I'm seriouly considering the Blue Ray and HD DVD storage solution, but are there units for internal?

Merlin ( googling away for new internal Blue Ray units )

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If you are looking to back up data to HD-DVD or Blu-ray... I'd say forget it. The drives are becoming more reasonable in price, but the media is still very expensive. If you are not a movie watcher... I don't think I'd bother picking up one of those drives. If you are, it might not be a bad idea to pick up something like LGs dual-format reader:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136133