A Look at Beamdog's PC Game Digital Distribution Service

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Digital game distribution services are a dime a dozen, but Beamdog vows to be different. Besides having the most unusual name for a service of its sort, Beamdog focuses on releasing games of all stripes, new or old, commercial or indie, and even some open source. It's also the exclusive shop for <em>MDK2 HD</em>, so let's check it out.

Read through our look at Beamdog's digital game distribution service and discuss it here!

marfig

No ROM battery
I might have just been convinced. I didn't know about this service either. But took a look at their website, the game offerings, their obvious respect for the indie industry, the prices, even this youtube video where we learn a bit about the Trent Oster, the gentleman behind Beamdog, and I find everything likable (I certainly find him more likable than Gabe Newell) :p

The whole digital video game retail thing is a tough conundrum for me. It's evident, from a consumer perspective, we should hope for a competitive market in which we end up benefiting from high quality services at the best possible prices. On the other hand we don't want to start populating our computers with a myriad of clients, none communicating with the other, and all asking to be the dominating species on our machine. The confusion can become great and I suspect there are folks already out there wondering sometimes from which service did they buy game X, so they fire the appropriate client and play it.

My personal vision of digital retail (gaming or software in general) is of a single standard internet protocol, and companies using it, basing their business strategy exclusively on the quality of their service and on the price of their products, not on the gatekeeping that the current model promotes. Of course, my vision is a bit of an utopia. So I'm not too keen on fiercely defending it.

Anyways, while looking around for alternatives to Steam I would like to keep on my machine (if for no other reason, at least to help promote the competitiveness on the market), I always tend to look at the industry underdogs. I like to see small companies thrive, prosper and succeed. It's stronger than me. Especially if I've been an infinitesimal part of it. I will share with them -- even if for a brief moment -- that feeling of pride and accomplishment. After which I go back to my usual self and never forget to return to my proper place as a consumer -- Never, ever, a mindless fan. Always a critical and a cynical one.

I liked Beamdog so much -- I liked the prices structure, the website, their obvious already advanced business model, I even liked their CEO -- that it's just a sin if I don't lend my wallet-based support to this business and hope seeing it grow and prosper and be one of the companies that can keep Steam on its toes, thus helping avoid abuse.

I was sold by the review. I can only hope, once I get into Beamdog, I'm sold by their service too. It looks like I will. There's a bit of GoG in it, I can almost smell it. And I can also only say kudos to anyone keeping indie (free or commercial) games on the forefront.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
marfig said:
It's evident, from a consumer perspective, we should hope for a competitive market in which we end up benefiting from high quality services at the best possible prices. On the other hand we don't want to start populating our computers with a myriad of clients, none communicating with the other, and all asking to be the dominating species on our machine.

I couldn't agree more... it's a catch 22.

marfig said:
My personal vision of digital retail (gaming or software in general) is of a single standard internet protocol, and companies using it, basing their business strategy exclusively on the quality of their service and on the price of their products, not on the gatekeeping that the current model promotes. Of course, my vision is a bit of an utopia. So I'm not too keen on fiercely defending it.

That sounds a little complex. I am starting to open up to the idea of having more than one client installed, because it's obvious that none of them are going away.

marfig said:
I liked Beamdog so much -- I liked the prices structure, the website, their obvious already advanced business model, I even liked their CEO -- that it's just a sin if I don't lend my wallet-based support to this business and hope seeing it grow and prosper and be one of the companies that can keep Steam on its toes, thus helping avoid abuse.

I'm of a similar thought, which is the reason I decided to explore them more to begin with. I often stumble on gaming services like these but never end up spending much time there. This service grabbed me for some reason.