64-Bit Windows

fullpicture

Obliviot
Not enough available 64 bit drivers for the hardware I use. Therefore I never bothered with the 64 bit version of Windows. Whats the point, if there aren't enough drivers for it?

supramax

Obliviot
Ironically the "big selling" point for AMD was the 64 bit, suprisingly nobody is using it.

I'm in the same boat as the other people. I don't use it because lack of support / drivers for it.

I jumped onto the 64 bit bandwagon without even thinking about using 64 bit......hehe :eek:

gliffy

Obliviot
Not dead. It just isn't practical or realistic yet. Hopefully when Vista comes out it will be practical then, and everyone who purchased an AMD for 64 bit can begin using the 64 bit features on it.

fullpicture

Obliviot
supramax said:
Ironically the "big selling" point for AMD was the 64 bit, suprisingly nobody is using it.

AMD was quick to advertise the 64 bit support on their chip, and make millions of profit off it.

supramax said:
I'm in the same boat as the other people. I don't use it because lack of support / drivers for it.

I jumped onto the 64 bit bandwagon without even thinking about using 64 bit......hehe :eek:

Alot of people did this too. They were fast to grab the AMD when they announced 64 bit.

werty316

Partition Master
I didn't buy a A64 system just for the 64-bit capability. Its either this or stay with outdated AXP or hot Intel chips and I am AMD all the way.

BLuKnight

Obliviot
I've got a copy of Windows XP 64-bit (legal) on my shelf. I just haven't had the time to set up a bootable partition for it. I think 64-bit has promise, it's just going to take some time to catch on. Either way, the price of AMD 64s is only slightly higher to an Athlon XP system. Now and days, its worth getting the 64 bit stuff even if you're just running Windows XP 32-bit.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Sadly, I honestly believe x64 Windows XP will never become an OS that people will use primarily. There is no true reason to go 64-Bit right now, and by the time there is, Vista 64-Bit will be readily available.

T-Shirt

E.M.I.
the 64 bit desktop isn't dead, it's still coming......eventually.
AMD sold alot of people on the "must have 64 bit NOW", but it was pretty obvious to me that it would take several generations of 64 bit hardware available before you would see mainstream O/S and driver support, and several generations of 64 bit O/S's before it is really useable for all everyday tasks.