4X Amplification - The Endless Space Review

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
It's not often I get to play a game from a studio that lists it as its only game, but I do have that pleasure with Endless Space, a complex 4X from Amplitude Studios. As the title suggests, the game takes place in space, and the options for victory are many. Read on as we evaluate whether Endless Space can scratch that 4X itch.

Read through our look at Endless Space and then discuss it here!

eunoia

Partition Master
Space games are awesome since at least Williams Defender Stargate! I thought I was a gamer, until I saw how many games are in your Steam account :eek: Newfound respect for any opinions you might have on games and gaming!

Kayden

Tech Monkey
The thing about the AI though is that one faction will always spread like wild fire on a difficulty higher then Newbie and will not attack with the bulk of it's fleet. This and the combat are the biggest reasons why I do not play it more, when they do get fixed however, expect to see me in it a lot.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Space games are awesome since at least Williams Defender Stargate! I thought I was a gamer, until I saw how many games are in your Steam account :eek: Newfound respect for any opinions you might have on games and gaming!

First, I am not familiar with that Stargate, so I gotta look into it. Second, I tend to be a bit easier on games that most people, so I've trained myself to think differently when actually writing the review, taking a look at things from a regular gamer angle. Some people let certain bugs and glitches stand out to them, for example, but I tend to let a lot of things slide. If I am having a blast regardless of minor issues, that's all that matters to me.

The thing about the AI though is that one faction will always spread like wild fire on a difficulty higher then Newbie and will not attack with the bulk of it's fleet. This and the combat are the biggest reasons why I do not play it more, when they do get fixed however, expect to see me in it a lot.

The unit stacking thing is a little ridiculous, because to compete you need to do it also, and not everyone wants to go that route. I really hope to see regular updates to smooth things like that out. Civ V still receives regular small patches to fix things like that, and it's been out for almost two years.