40GB of Mobile Data Can Cost as Much as a House

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
It's no secret that mobile broadband is expensive when looked at from a 'per GB' standpoint, but did you realize that mobile data is one of the most expensive resources on earth? In fact, in a loose comparison, it could be even worth more than gold, because I'm quite sure you'd have a lot more to show for half a million dollars worth of gold than you would with 40GB of mobile data. Wait... what?

pcpro_cost_of_mobile_bandwidth_070511.png

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

On_Wisconsin

Coastermaker
Oddly enough I'm on VM (in the States) and I'm getting unlimited data as a part of a $25 300min/unlimited texts plan...but nowhere near using 40GB...

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I don't have a mobile device but I'm sure if I did I could hit that in about 2 weeks no prob. It's ridiculous that more carriers in the US are dropping unlimited data plans because they did not build their networks to support future customers or even current. It's again another case of the consumer having to pay for Corporate greed and then us never seeing a thing out of it.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Oh, I despise these mobile carriers! When I worked for Rogers/Fido, I saw some seizure-inducing data charges. Many people got bills charging them thousands of dollars. And I saw some bills that were charging the customer hundreds of thousands of dollars for data usage.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
That's truly appalling... I'm pretty sure it costs them nowhere near $200,000+ for 40GB of data use... such an absurdly high markup could probably be challenged in court given the lack of grounds for it, but I'm not a legal expert and I don't recall the exact law in question. It isn't any wonder the telcos are making a fortune from data plans... and that's AFTER considering that they still have to pay who knows how much to build and maintain the telephone system across much of the US, which isn't pocket change either.

OriginalJoeCool

Tech Monkey
Imagine opening up a bill and seeing $200,000. No wonder they call the companies raging mad. Too bad it's the unfortunate call center workers that have to listen to it, not the people that actually make the decisions.

Last edited: