3TB Hard Drives to be Released in 2010?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
With all of the talk surrounding solid-state disks today, it's easy to overlook the technological advances made with mechanical storage. One such example is the beefed-up and super-fast VelociRaptor 600GB, which features a SATA 3.0 interface and speeds that are 15% faster over the previous gen. And all the while, even mobile drives continue to see many improvements (who doesn't want that 1TB Scorpio in their notebook?!).

seagate_constellation_3tb_051110.jpg

You can read the rest of our post here.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
i am definitely looking forward to these! not in the least bit interested in those overly expensive SSDs!

"In talking to many different people about the subject since earlier this year, some have told me that they believe mechanical storage to be on the way out, and flash to be the future.
"

what do u mean by when they say Flash to be the future?!?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
SSD's use flash memory, or NAND flash, so basically they're saying SSD's are the future.

I've got to admit, the storage density race has been very quiet the last year with regard to mechanical drives, the only noteworthy point was the 1TB 2.5" drive, even though it was a 12.5mm drive rather than a standard 9.5mm. 2TB drives are still not as cost effective as 1TB drives, but getting there, maybe the 3's will push them down when they start coming out.

After perpendicular storage, there's development with heat and laser based drive heads that could increase densities further, which can be read up at Ars. Both storage types have they're advantages, but it would appear that our long standing mechanical brethren are hitting a wall with 2D storage. It's a shame that 3D/holographic storage is still in it's infancy and not commercially viable on a consumer level. Most of which is based on Magneto optical drives or WORM (Write Once Read Many) as it were back in the 80's. We've already got multi layered media, like 4 and 8 layer BD's, but they are still 2D, it's like combining multiple platters on a hard drive. Real 3D storage is a long way off and the only example i've seen of that was with a laser lattice array using diamonds and super cooled cesium or something in some weird quantum storage example, rearranging molecules to form patterns that could be read and interpreted by an electron microscope, hardly mainstream.

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The highest density HDD's have always held a price premium over the previous highest-capacity drives they replace. Being the largest size drive gives them the extra value needed to let them charge extra for the privilege of one.

I don't see mechanical drives vanishing anytime soon, nor for another decade at minimum. A good quality hard drive should last five years, plenty to serve as long term data storage while a flash drive handles the main system.

I feel there is a good chance that one of any new technologies entirely already being researched might replace NAND flash before it can even replace mechanical disks. More than several are being pursued, and as the stretch of time between '95 and '05 shows, quite a lot can happen in ten years.