1366x768 Surpasses 1024x768 As Most-Used Resolution on Web

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
For tech enthusiasts, a 1024x768 resolution is something of history - one that most of us likely used 10 years ago. But believe it or not, until recently that resolution was still the most used on the Internet, only now finally being surpassed by 1366x768. In checking our own stats, 1024x768 places #5. Tablets no doubt helped boost the usage up a bit, but even so, it's almost humorous to see a resolution delivering less than 1MP still being used by many.

statcounter_041512.png

Read the rest of our post and then discuss it here!

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Before anyone asks oh my god who is still using 1024x768. Anyone lol. It could be an old internet kiosk in a mall. An old computer in a medical facility. A sight deficient person with a tube monitor. Netbooks probably make up the main purposeful use of them but that's fading thankfully.

Yeah i still design with a width of 1000 in mind but id like to make that 1200+ on the regular.

marfig

No ROM battery
Business tend to stick to old formulas. They represent a very large chunk of the world's computer usage.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Business tend to stick to old formulas. They represent a very large chunk of the world's computer usage.

That's the problem, though for that kind of resolution to really stick, a -lot- of people must browse from work, and all work for companies where they are forced to use crummy old machines.

The last time I used 1024x768 was on a laptop I purchased in 2004, and even that seems too recent.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
All the computers at my alma mater (in the classrooms + various labs + student center) were all using square 1024x768 LCD displays, so that's only a few thousand daily users right there... ;)