4GB Trials and Tribulations

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to move on up to 4GB of system ram? There may not be a need for that now, but it won't take very long until it's commonplace in enthusiast PC's. I take 4GB worth of top end DDR1 and DDR2 memory, and relate my overclocking and performance reports to you.

After reading my article here, you can discuss it here!

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Very nice article Rob. Very informative.

Karate Dig rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madmat

Soup Nazi
It's too bad that SP2 screwed up 4 gigs for XP. It's odd you could get such good results with 4 gigs, the A8N32 won't OC at all with 4 gigs in it.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
madmat said:
It's too bad that SP2 screwed up 4 gigs for XP. It's odd you could get such good results with 4 gigs, the A8N32 won't OC at all with 4 gigs in it.

Looks like the Ultra-D may be the board of choice. There are a lot of motherboards out there that can't handle a 4GB overclock. I was impressed how well the Ultra-D handled it, and I am sure with more tweaking, a slightly higher overclock may be possible.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
A fine article, Rob. I know you've spent a good deal of time on it, and it definitely shows. I'm not in need of 4Gb yet, but time will tell. It's kind of funny how fast we've moved from 1Gb and now by the end of the year 4Gb kits. Excellent work Rob.