Ryzen 7 is it good?

Harry Adams

Obliviot
Hello,

I'm currently planning to build a custom build gaming pc for the processors I've been thinking getting Ryzen 7. Any thoughts or suggestions for this?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Ryzen 7 is likely overkill for just a gaming PC if all you plan to do is game. If you plan to do more than gaming like video encoding/CPU streaming, or you plan for the long term on the chance that games will use more than 4 cores, then Ryzen 7 is a fine CPU. Otherwise go with a Ryzen 5 1600 for a fair bit less and 6 cores, or if you want 144Hz gaming, then an i5-7600K overclocked would be better. That's if you plan on pure gaming. It all depends on budget. Since Intel is going to be pushing 6-core chips soon, it also depnds on timing.

The Ryzen CPUs are great, not the best for gaming compared to Intel, but more than adequate, plus you get the extra cores for when things change or you plan to go beyond gaming.

Last edited:

Harry Adams

Obliviot
Ryzen 7 is likely overkill for just a gaming PC if all you plan to do is game. If you plan to do more than gaming like video encoding/CPU streaming, or you plan for the long term on the chance that games will use more than 4 cores, then Ryzen 7 is a fine CPU. Otherwise go with a Ryzen 5 1600 for a fair bit less and 6 cores, or if you want 144Hz gaming, then an i5-7600K overclocked would be better. That's if you plan on pure gaming. It all depends on budget. Since Intel is going to be pushing 6-core chips soon, it also depnds on timing.

The Ryzen CPUs are great, not the best for gaming compared to Intel, but more than adequate, plus you get the extra cores for when things change or you plan to go beyond gaming.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Also I love games so its basically more on gaming but since Ryzen 5 is good I'll check it also and specially i5.