"Where Vista Fails"

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Promises were made. Excitement was generated. None of it, as it turns out, was worth a damn. From a technical standpoint, the version of Windows Vista we will receive is a sad shell of its former self, a shadow. One might still call it a major Windows release. I will, for various reasons. The kernel was rewritten. The graphics subsystem is substantially improved, if a little obviously modeled after that in Mac OS X. Heck, half of the features of Windows Vista seem to have been lifted from Apple's marketing materials.

Link

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Nothing like a another good jaded assessment :D

I wonder what the purpose of the new Vista is anyways. Absent deep discounts and great marketing, word may get out to businesses and consumers that this thing stinks when they try to do something on it. Eh

Last edited:

Cool Barn

Obliviot
Gee it must stink when a Microsoft fanboy like Paul Thurrott starts criticising it.

I wonder if it will end up as awful as he predicts??? Guess we'll know within the next year or so.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I have used Vista since the earliest days, and I can agree that it's gone downhill for the mostpart. There's just no denying it.

If the final version released is as much of a resource hog as the current beta is, then it's going to turn some people away at launch.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I was quite impressed with the first views of Vista. The reversable windows, the imbedded graphics. It was going to be quite an OS. I even had the Longhorn theme for XP which was really nice. Then I read an article about how there was so much coding in Vista, and that it took too many processes to do a simple task. That version was dumped and a new kernel was written, the article explained. The OS's have gotten so filled with code, it's no wonder the new Vista build is so resource hungry. Back to basics I say. Microsoft needs to rethink where this is going and release something dependable. If they can't release soemthing like that, I might just switch over to that Mac platform :eek:. BUT, I'll stick with XP as long as I can.

discharge

Obliviot
An OS is not meant to be pretty. I do not understand why everyone got all excited about Vista in the beginning. Look like it was only a prettier OS, and who needs pretty in an OS? I want an OS that is functional, nothing else and nothing more.

werty316

Partition Master
It looke more worse than XP when you first have it installed. M$ is trying too hard on trying to make it very user friendly and easy to use. As Rob said I hope also that it isn't a resource hog. I'll give it a try anyhow if I can get my hands on a copy when it gets released.

Last edited:

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Im fairly unusual when it comes to the OS... I for one liked Windows ME. But hey, that was me. Most of the features in it were brought to XP eventually and it made ME look like one of the worst OS releases MS had.

But they were on to some things in it, and i think vista was meant to try to expand on some of them.

Why is this shit going to fail and end up like ME? Because MS isnt interested in improving what they have, or spending the kind of money that would make us happy. They want something flashy that will compete with the other OS in the market long enough for them to rebuild a new windows that reminds us why we liked them better to begin with. This type fo martketing is simular to that of Coca-Cola. Release a new type that everyone goes crazy over only to let the hype die down and then remind people why they love coke. They get the $ from the hype, and the $ from the hype dying down.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
oddly enough after a drink at chillis my friend and i went to a lan party for halo2...

how does this relate to vista?

One of the older gentleman is networking support team leader or w/e.

One is doing something else????

and the third is a vista rep. So yeah... i play halo2 on a 360 all night in a lan party where there were atleast 8 headsets and games ranged from 10-16 people.

Now for the kicker... Vista will be the only os from m$ to be coming out for awhile. I can take this guy at his word too. (reason to be withheld.) So im making this post to retract the vista becoming the next ME statement ive made previously. It might very well become the new standard for most new PCs these next few years. "3-4" to be exact.

Oh and there will be "several grades" of the final release of vista as well.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Did you make that post drunk? You like Vista because a Vista rep told you to? What am I missing?

madstork91

The One, The Only...
my main problem with vista was that it looked like it was going to be like ME...

It wont be. Thus my main point is no longer valid, and I might be able to appreciate the OS. Thats about it.

I will also note that he seemed very agitated when i mentioned that vista had been rebuild a few times, and still not released.

(oh and i wasnt drunk it was just late)