First Two Weeks with an ASUS Transformer Tablet

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'm proud to say that I'm no longer a tablet virgin, so what better way to celebrate than to tell everyone about how magical the experience can be? Equipped with an ASUS Transformer Prime, I've customized, downloaded, read, played, tweaked, watched and even rooted, finally reaching the obvious fact: tablets are cool.

Read through my personal thoughts on both the ASUS Transformer and owning a tablet in general, then discuss/bash/agree here!

U

Unregistered

pdfs

How well does the tablet do with really large pdfs?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That depends a lot on the app. I found the best performance has been with the Kindle software of all things (based on a 60MB guide for the Darksiders II game). There I was able to zoom in fluidly and pretty much use it as well as I expected I could (no other app handled it as well). For PDF books and things, I've been using Alkido and it's been great.

B

bob

ah, good

That doesn't sound bad. A lot of us table gamer geeks are tired of packing books around. Many publishers now sell their books in pdf form, so something that handles 60mb pdfs is a boon. Thanks for a the response.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I agree - I've even repurchased a digital copy of a book just because it's so much more convenient. When you're really tired and just want to read something before conking out, it's a lot easier to tap the tablet to turn the page than to actually turn the page, haha. Geez, do I sound lazy.

The biggest problem with guides like I mentioned, is that it obviously wasn't meant for such a high-res screen, so I often had to zoom in and zoom out. That problem just doesn't occur with books of course, since those are designed to scale to the screen.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I had an issue with my battery not showing a charge at all. I knew it was charged because I ran it for more than a few hours (8+) with wifi and BT turned on before it crashed. I then charged it up for a long time (8hours+) and it still read the battery as 0%.

After reading a bit on the issue, I cracked it open using these methods ( http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cr...-teardown-solid-tablet-but-not-without-flaws/ ) and what I found was shocking. Not only were there two screw missing, but 3 screw mounts had been screwed so tightly that they were busted. (Major sad face)

I then disconnected and reconnected my battery, and powered the device on... It worked fine, and the batter had a reading again.

Something must have nudged that loose battery just right...