Apple Unveils iPad Mini and Updated iPad

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
At a press event held Tuesday, Apple unveiled what has to be its worst-kept-secret to date - the iPad mini. On top of that, iMac and MacBook updates were also announced, and, so was a new iPad. Yes - despite the iPad "with Retina" being released just this past spring, Apple wasted no time in releasing a successor that carries over the CPU from the recently-launched iPhone 5.

apple_ipad_gen4_102412.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

MacMan

Partition Master
I am not that interested in the iPad mini, itself but the new iMac.... WOW! I have a couple of grand left over from my last three paychecks, and I am really tempted to buy one of these super skinny, super sexy machines. It does not have a Retina display, but running OS X, Windows 7, 8, or Linux will should look really great on those True-Color IPS screen.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, I admit the new iMacs are pretty cool. You'd almost have to do a double-take when hooking one up, "Where's the computer?!".

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Atypical to many of Apple's other recent releases, this product does not feature a "Retina" display. Instead, it packs in a 1024x768 resolution, resulting in a PPI of 163.
No.... No its not atypical. They did the same with the iPhone, iPhone 4 got retina. Touch 4th Gen did not. Same here, so they can sell more crap. Same reason they dropped a new iPad on the already new iPad. Wonder if apple is gonna end up doing the same thing they did when Steve wasn't the CEO?

Also to the iMac after you hook it up your going to be saying.... wheres the GPU? With great (lol) options ranging from 640M and 650M on up to the 660M and 675MX, all with 512mb ram except the MX (1gb). Only the last is configurable to the 680M w/ 2gb.

I would rather have a Thunderbolt (and have to use an adapter) or Cinema display than an iMac.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, I was thinking more of the iPad 3 and then the recent MacBook Pros. I guess I didn't consider the other part of the product-line.

Also to the iMac after you hook it up your going to be saying.... wheres the GPU? With great (lol) options ranging from 640M and 650M on up to the 660M and 675MX, all with 512mb ram except the MX (1gb). Only the last is configurable to the 680M w/ 2gb.

Well, yes, but it's still suitable for general-purpose computing ;-)

Edit: I just noticed you changed your avatar, LOL. Not sure what took me so long. Nice one.

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Well, I was thinking more of the iPad 3 and then the recent MacBook Pros. I guess I didn't consider the other part of the product-line.

Well, yes, but it's still suitable for general-purpose computing ;-)

Edit: I just noticed you changed your avatar, LOL. Not sure what took me so long. Nice one.

Yea but when your dropping almost $2000 (top end, and more than that for the 680M) on that it had better do more than GP Computing. I mean that doesn't beat a 2600k and a 7970. I understand the build quality thing but from reading Apples site it may not even be reparable. That's how I read this:
This process uses a combination of intense friction-generated heat and pressure to intermix the molecules of the two aluminum surfaces — creating a seamless, precise, and superstrong join.
I mean I may be wrong however but iFixits teardown will resolve it.

Anyways I could never justify spending that much on something that in the end would frustrate me because I can't upgrade it. But again that's just my thoughts on the fact that it wouldn't be all that great for games or very cpu intensive tasks. Those specs would be amazing for a laptop, this is still supposed to be a desktop though. I think I would build a mITX before getting one of these because they at least use desktop parts.

And to the avatar, I had to change it, I no longer run Nvidia let alone SLI lol Thats why however, I wanted this 7970, to play stuff at 3840x1080 (4,147,200 Pixels) which is pretty much comparable to 2560*1600 (4,096,000 Pixels). The 7970 did ~2x better than a 480 and did a hell of a lot better on higher resolutions. Running everything maxed out flawlessly. I need more games but... I can't DL much due to some internet issues here and won't be able till I get my own landline internet.