The loss of a Visionary: Steve Jobs Passes

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
A few moments ago, Apple's front page was changed to reflect the passing of a visionary; Steve Jobs. This is a very sad day, with our heartfelt sympathy going out to his friends and his family. No details as of yet have been released, but the Board of Directors at Apple have released the following statement:

steve_jobs_passes_100511.jpg

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
As much as I hate Apple I always respected what Steve did. There is so much that would not have been accomplished with out his vision. Rest in Peace Steve.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Time to admit that I choked up and shed tears over this news. I don't like Apple much... that's obvious. But what's also obvious is that Steve was a brilliant man who innovated and forced his competitors to do the same. He took a company about to collapse and turned it into the most profitable tech firm on the planet. Neither of these are small feats.

It's unfortunate that Steve was not able to live long enough to see his first authorized biography released. You can bet that it's going to be an amazing - and upsetting read when it's released.

RIP, Steve.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Horrible news, even when expected, is still horrible.

I have had an iPhone for almost three years and I cannot picture life without it. I know that sounds sad but it has been integrated into almost every part of my life. Correspondence, gaming, culinary adventures, media consumption and sharing and even at times, my love life. Every single corner of my life involves this bit of technology that Steve brought to the masses.

I got my first Mac Book Pro about a month ago and while I still prefer my windows machines, I see the merits in the OS. On top of that, one cannot argue that Apple makes the best computers on the planet from a design standpoint.

However, the biggest mark that Steve left on my life was in his involvement with Pixar. So many of their movies stand out to me because I happen to see them in huge points in my life. I saw Toy Story with a couple of friends. It was the last movie I saw in the local theater before it shut down. My college girlfriend and I would watch Monsters Inc repeatedly. My fiance (wife in a few short days) watch Up all the time and I have seen that movie make her cry.

So many powerful moments in one life because of one man's visionary ambition. Computer animation was the future when he bought Pixar. He saw it when nobody else did. That includes Disney. Steve willed it upon the masses and the teams he assembled to make it happen were nothing short of magical.

Godspeed Steve. It's a darker world without your vision.

MacMan

Partition Master
To me Steve was more than just a tech visionary, he was like family! I'm around his age and I literally grew up reading, listening to and buying, as well as enjoying his great products.

Steve might have been one of the world's richest men, but he said many times that he never did it for the money. He gave up over 30 billion dollars in stock options, worked for a measly one dollar per year and was more concerned about his family than any other thing.

I didn't shed a tear on the news, as I knew he was most likely going to die soon, but I too must admit that it hurt me deeply to hear of his passing.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Oh, and Finding Nemo. I used to watch it with my girls, each of us taking turns quoting the lines as we went along. That's one of my fondest memories and I imagine it will remain that way until the end. Pixar is a factory of amazing.

marfig

No ROM battery
I'm still trying to cope with this news. I choked, I'm shocked and I don't feel well. It just doesn't seem real that the world lost Steve Jobs. I hate that disease! God, how I hate it!

I didn't like Jobs, as one expects to like or dislike a person from their demeanor, actions and words. From very early (way back in NeXT) Steve Jobs just stroke me as an unlikable person. As the years moved, the way he expressed himself -- and especially as he conducted business -- just didn't help. And with him Apple, the company he helped found, the one that fired him and then hired him back. Steve Jobs is a pivotal figure in the passions and hates surrounding this company. And for conducting business this way I will never forgive him.

But there was also Steve Jobs. The inventor, innovator, technician and computer scientist. The Steve Jobs that gave me NeXT, one of the most brilliant machines I ever put my hands on. The Steve Jobs that reinvented personal computers with the original Macintosh and the Steve Jobs that was greatly influential on the reinvention and re-purpose of mobile computing. That Steve Jobs was taken from us and we all lost a genius, a hero and an historical figure.

RIP

Glider

Coastermaker
Well, I'll probably get the wrath of the world for stating this, but every day thousands of people die.

I admit he was a heck of a salesman, he could sell the iFridge to the Eskimos... Revolutionary, a lot less, he just got away with "borrowing" stuff from other a lot better then average Joe...

However, I do think Apple lost one of his greatest assets, as Jobs was the face of Apple.

Obviously I wish his family and friends all the best, but I already hate the hype that is going to follow his death...

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
As I read through this thread I was worried that it would come down to me to say it but Glider beat me to the punch (lol @ iFridge).

Regardless, Jobs has been the symbol of Apple more than the actual logo since I started getting heavily into computers and technology. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

Like him or not, he was a genius when it came to marketing, but a visionary? I think not.

marfig

No ROM battery
He's author or co-author in over 300 patents. He pretty much defined the road for personal computers GUI with the Macintosh. In the late 80s he was already building a system developed on Object Oriented principles, long before C++ became a mainstream language. He completely changed the panorama of mobile computing in recent years, single-handedly introducing the biggest user and mentality shift in computing history since IBM with the PC or the Internet.

I have an hard time picturing him as anything else but a visionary man. Although, admittedly he was a lot more things than that. And many not pleasant. I was just a few minutes reminded by my wife of his rejection stance on philanthropy, for instance.

Obviously I wish his family and friends all the best, but I already hate the hype that is going to follow his death...

Hopefully all will be gone in a week or two and Apple will be back to competing in a market defined by offer and demand rules. I don't have any heart on Tim to steer the boat from here on. Especially with Jobs sudden death. I have my suspicious Apple leadership isn't such a consensual issue as we've been lead to believe (these things never, rarely, are). I'm expecting quite a few chairs changing places over the next few years.

Meanwhile the real threat to Apple is looming. My personal belief is that Apple is reaching the evening of its golden age, with competitive and attractive alternatives to both its flag products. The Apple of today is the exact same Apple of the past, too strung up on a few key businesses and highly dependent on them for survival. If we have seen a giant build up from there in the past 10 years, it was simply over the lack of a real competitive market. But as the market reshape and all the slowpokes take their place, Apple will be left competing toe to toe. And Apple has never succeeded in that. When it was time to open up, Apple would tighten the grip on it's products even further, and lose market share by the minute. By the 00s, Apple was a dying company with a market share of less than 5% IIRC in the personal computer world.

Should be interesting to see how much of this Apple-way will remain after the passing of Steve Jobs and how this company will reinvent itself once the still embryonic market of cellphones and tablet devices solidifies.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Well, I'll probably get the wrath of the world for stating this, but every day thousands of people die.

I admit he was a heck of a salesman, he could sell the iFridge to the Eskimos... Revolutionary, a lot less, he just got away with "borrowing" stuff from other a lot better then average Joe...

However, I do think Apple lost one of his greatest assets, as Jobs was the face of Apple.

Of course thousands of people die every day. What's the point? Someone's parents could pass away and some asshole will be somewhere to make the same comment you have made.

I politely disagree with you about Steve Jobs being a visionary. Love or hate their movies, Pixar created the computer animation movement, a multibillion dollar a year industry. The hype that surrounds his death is there because his products touched so many lives. Their phones, tablets, computers and software. Almost every facet of our lives has been touched in some form, small or large, by his vision.

killem2

Coastermaker
Does anyone else think he and ashton kutcher look ALOT alike. (jobs from the 70s I mean)

Could be a movie!

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I don't own any Apple products, and at least for most of them I wouldn't have any real interest in owning. But I do feel Steve Jobs was a visionary... Why? Find any other company as large as Apple that hasn't imploded or become so bureaucratic that it can't design and innovate.

Apple has surpassed Microsoft, IBM, and all the rest to become the largest company in terms of valuation in the world, and yet it still has a strong brand, a strong image, and releases sought after products. The design and the finish of Apple products are still its ethos, they sell the user experience. A company like HP or Dell just sells something slapped together by various non-communicating departments within a bureaucratic entity, and the product they end up with shows that... something I had underscored to me recently when someone bought an HP laptop I had to work on. A brand new laptop, where marketers decided design, and costs decided quality. The laptop looked great and had perfect specs on paper, but in the real world the design was a headache, and I had to gut it just to repair design flaws fresh out of the box. And their website division couldn't find its backside with both hands even if it had a map with directions.

Other reasons I feel he was a visionary... he founded Apple, and he founded Pixar Studios. Both revolutionized the markets they were in. When Apple's board took the company away from him and fired him, he founded NeXT, which became successful enough that Apple later bought the company to integrate it as a core part of their OS, giving him a foot back in the door. Just like many other major cooperations, Apple's board proceeded to implode the company in its quest for the bottom line, but when they gave up and asked Steve to return he fixed the company to the way it had been. Apple is one of the few company's that will place design and quality above price considerations, it almost feels like any other company is so focused on the bottom line they can't see the bigger picture by comparison.

Probably most tangible reason I feel he's a visionary, is Steve and Wozniak gave us the Mac, and the Mac gave us the mouse. At the time the only thing the mouse was good for was paint programs, the PC industry thought it was a useless novelty and left it alone, yet Steve knew better. The computer industry didn't see even see the "PC", they didn't see anything "personal" in home users owning a computer. Steve was the one that really put the personal in "PC", ironically enough as that sounds.

He did it long before IBM released a system called a "personal computer" ;)

Edit: I do have to say, the more I watch his speeches and read quotes from him, the more I like the guy. He may not have been a philanthropist and he was certainly protective of his company and designs to potentially a fault, but the guy had a gift few do. Here's the text of his Stanford commencement address in 2005, form the WSJ. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111903596904576520690515394766.html

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yet another cool tribute:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42BjJ7jLgK8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42BjJ7jLgK8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cooler that I was at this concert. Not cool that I didn't pay attention to the screens up top during it, so I just thought he was doing a cool solo.

killem2

Coastermaker
Yet another cool tribute:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/42BjJ7jLgK8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/42BjJ7jLgK8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cooler that I was at this concert. Not cool that I didn't pay attention to the screens up top during it, so I just thought he was doing a cool solo.

Is that final fantasy/zelda music? It sounds strangely familiar.