BF3 Min & Rec Specs released from Gamestop

Kayden

Tech Monkey
File this under another snafu from Gamestop or with a pinch of salt either way here it is.

Minimum Specifications

Hard Drive Space: 15GB for disc version or 10GB for digital version
Operating System: Windows Vista or Windows 7
Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
RAM: 2GB
Video Card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card

Recommended Specifications

Hard Drive Space: 15GB for disc version or 10GB for digital version
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
RAM: 4GB
Video Card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon HD 6850

Source: http://www.gamerzines.com/pc/news/battlefield-3-pc-specs.html

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Woah...my GPU is recommended. That means it's not good enough to really push some serious frame rates. Time to double up!

Here's hoping my little dually with hyper threading is up to the task.

Grrr! I wonder if I can get my Sandy Bridge upgrade finished by October?

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
Quad core and a high end GPU as 'Recommended' hardware... damn, maybe we'll get something more than extended HDR and a couple tessellation tweaks out of a PC DX11 release...

Notice the lack of Windows XP and DX9 in the minimum... ;)

DarkStarr

Tech Monkey
Nice..... My GPUs are in the minimum but only due to DX10 they would probably do very well though so I still seen no reason to upgrade, especially since they have water blocks and all. I will probably upgrade when I can get a 480/580 for what I paid for these then get blocks for em. As of right now my cards own any game I have played, well except Crysis but they still do great in it.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Here's hoping my little dually with hyper threading is up to the task.

Grrr! I wonder if I can get my Sandy Bridge upgrade finished by October?

The HT is probably the only thing that will be saving you. Bad Company 2 on a Core 2 Duo @ 3 Ghz tends to be 80 to 95% during multiplayer and then Punkbuster likes to kick in and eat up to 30% killing the game a bit.

Anything prior to an i3 Dual with HT or the like i think should be out of the question for BF3.

I am in the same boat as you. When they pushed up the release date i got angry, I cant finish my build by then lol.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
The HT is probably the only thing that will be saving you. Bad Company 2 on a Core 2 Duo @ 3 Ghz tends to be 80 to 95% during multiplayer and then Punkbuster likes to kick in and eat up to 30% killing the game a bit.

Anything prior to an i3 Dual with HT or the like i think should be out of the question for BF3.

I am in the same boat as you. When they pushed up the release date i got angry, I cant finish my build by then lol.

TBH it all depends at what res and how far you push the graphics. If your running an i3 with a 460gtx with DX11 at 1400x900 or lower res you should have no problem with High or some Med setting and expect to see 40+ FPS, now if your going with 1920x1080p and all the eye candy that's going take an i7 with a 6950 or 570gtx at least, more than likely requiring SLI or Xfire if you want everything including AA & AF with DX11.

I'm just guessing with what all this might be but also consider this, Dragon Age 2 had DX11 at launch and it took Nvidia and AMD how long to get their act together? It's just going to be a while before they are optimized after the game is released, hopefully it will be much sooner the DA2 was.

Last edited:

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
TBH it all depends at what res and how far you push the graphics. If your running an i3 with a 460gtx with DX11 at 1400x900 or lower res you should have no problem with High or some Med setting and expect to see 40+ FPS, now if your going with 1920x1080p and all the eye candy that's going take an i7 with a 6950 or 570gtx at least, more than likely requiring SLI or Xfire if you want everything including AA & AF with DX11.

Right, I believe what hits home the hardest with BC2 and BF3 will be no different is the effects setting. Because it ties in with physics calculations. Mind you draw distance can put a minor extra load on the cpu since it has more things to send off to the graphics library for rendering.

Outside of tanks exploding I actually don't notice much frame rate difference between high and low. My laptop is limited to DX10 running a 9800M GS @ GTS clocks and overclocking my C2D to 3.3 Ghz and it has been benched against my 775 desktop the mobile cpu's dont seem any slower per clock. The GPU at its current speed is said to be around an 8800 GS desktop card which blows a little.

But for BC2 All High with 1xAA and hbao off is actually fine until something explodes. I play Draw distance medium the rest low 1xaa It helps for those rough spots or when Punkbuster comes alive. Overclocking the cpu from 2.8 to 3.3 gives me on average an extra 10 frames when the cpu bottlenecks.

Its done, no quad support and my only gpu upgrade option is a GTX 260M that melts its own solder. Why Im going to a desktop.

Last edited:

Optix

Basket Chassis
Staff member
Well, my i3 at 4.2Ghz can pretty much match an i5 750 in most tests so I'm confident there. I just need to double up on my GPUs but certainly want to go with a Z68 SB system. Maybe jump up to 8GB of memory.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
I'm planning on crossfiring my HD 6870 and possibly upgrading from my 955 Black Edition to an x6 1100T Black Edition. That should get me pretty much max everything (hopefully) since I run only at 1440 x 900 (my max monitor res).

Kayden

Tech Monkey
I'm planning on crossfiring my HD 6870 and possibly upgrading from my 955 Black Edition to an x6 1100T Black Edition. That should get me pretty much max everything (hopefully) since I run only at 1440 x 900 (my max monitor res).

I would hold off on the CPU until you get that other video card and get your XFire setup. This way you can see if you really need the 2 additional cores or if the game even supports it, would be nice to have at some point to take the load from your basic apps running however.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
This way you can see if you really need the 2 additional cores or if the game even supports it, would be nice to have at some point to take the load from your basic apps running however.

Bad Company 2 doesn't limit itself to any particular thread count and I wouldn't expect BF3 to be any different. During a level load on BC2 on an i7 you will see 8 cores somewhat busy with threads from the application. I havent looked at it myself but that particular scenario makes sense because loading files into memory can be threaded per file/per part very easily.

I will soon get to witness first hand BC2's thread usage but most reviews say it will utilize as many cores as you can give it, but were also limited on core/thread capability at 8 to 12 atm.

Certain times the game might only have its threads going to 3 or 4 cores and at other times windows will have so many active threads going it wont know what to do with them. But other apps we run while gaming still as you mention have the chance to benefit.

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Bad Company 2 doesn't limit itself to any particular thread count and I wouldn't expect BF3 to be any different. During a level load on BC2 on an i7 you will see 8 cores somewhat busy with threads from the application. I havent looked at it myself but that particular scenario makes sense because loading files into memory can be threaded per file/per part very easily.

I will soon get to witness first hand BC2's thread usage but most reviews say it will utilize as many cores as you can give it, but were also limited on core/thread capability at 8 to 12 atm.

Certain times the game might only have its threads going to 3 or 4 cores and at other times windows will have so many active threads going it wont know what to do with them. But other apps we run while gaming still as you mention have the chance to benefit.

I do have a cpu meter on my G13/G19 and watch it while playing games and when I had my AMD 4x4 running just basic stuff in the background while playing a game that could sometimes effect my performance. This was because they would either update or something else thus causing problems in games so I had to close almost everything, now this isn't to say a 4 core (talk about Hyper-Threading from Intel in a sec) isn't enough to run a game but the more background programs you can off load to other cores the less the less of chance these programs will effect your performance in a game, the more cores a game supports the less you have to deal with this problem as well.

BFBC2 does limit itself to Quad core so only 4 instructions per the recommended specs so having a 6 core will give you no benefit. I know you said it will support as many cores as you can throw at it but I'm sorry I could not find any official evidence to prove that, what I could find was this from Techspot Performance In-depth article which said

The game appears to be using all four cores when available. Here we used a standard Core i7 920 processor running at 2.66GHz. Please note HyperThreading was disabled and a single Radeon HD 5850 graphics card was used. As you can see none of the cores are working very hard.

Here is the same Core i7 920 processor with two cores disabled as well as HyperThreading. As you can see neither core is maxed out, but the CPU utilization is much higher. So again, a decent dual core processor such as a Core 2 Duo E8xxx or Phenom II X2 should be enough to get the most out of your graphics card in this game. While it is quad-core optimized, the game is not demanding enough on the CPU to warrant it based on what I have seen so far.

This doesn't cover 6 core unfortunately but it does show that having a 4 core cpu greatly reduces the cpu load, here is what I found with 6 core cpu performance from Benchmark Reviews with the Phenom-II X6-1090T it does compare against the i7-980X

Battlefield-Bad-Company-2_Benchmark.jpg

Here we can see what I was talking about that the game will not be more efficient with more then 4 cores even with Hyper-Threading enabled. The BIGGEST problem with games is that a vast majority only support 2 cores and 4 cores is the limit for games (at this time). A little bit of word play is at work here, when they say Multi-Core support that is limited to 2 cores more often then not, which gets people assuming that it will support their quad core when it doesn't. The games that do not limit themselves to only 2 cores are ones that say Quad core specifically but that's the limit 4 nothing more. I just don't think jumping on the 6 core bandwagon is going give any one a dramatic performance increase in games and the info here supports that. Now granted this is only one game but for the sake of argument it's the one we have been discussing and I am limiting myself to this game. The only benefit you might see is if you like running stuff in the background, which normally gamers do not because of the unforeseen impact they can have on performance.

Just to prove that my i7 950 does not use the Hyper-Threading in BFBC2, I jumped into the game and was on the Heavy Metal map and got into a little bit of action but nothing major, here is what my Task Manager showed.

BFBC2coreusage.jpg

As you can see core 0, 2, 4 and 6 are the physical CPU cores and 1, 3, 5 and 7 are for Hyper-Threading. The thing about Hyper-Threading is that allows multiple instructions to be sent to the CPUs cores, it doesn't give you additional processing power like you would have with more cores. This isn't to say that it doesn't make your CPU more efficient however what it does mean that just having it enabled isn't going to change your game's performance unless it can recognize that additional instruction set, which again a majority don't. This is because they rehash game engines like the Unreal ED and until they update the engine or others like it to use Hyper-Threading or Quad/Hexa-Core CPUs this will remain the norm.

When I moved to the i7 I noticed I could run a few things in the background that I could not before and I am assuming it is because of Hyper-Threading, this is a distinct advantage Intel has over AMD because those background programs were no longer taking away direct CPU cycles away from the games themselves. The journey with Hyper-Threading has been a bumpy ride but they have worked most of the bugs out and it's worth having in my opinion, especially if your a hardcore or enthusiast gamer.

I do HOPE that BF3 can and will use more then just 4 cores and take advantage of that additional performance but I am doubtful, this is because the main stream is just now getting Quad as the standard CPU. I hope this clears up my position and gives any one else reading this a little more insight into this clouded situation.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I still recommend getting the additional GPU and going XFire. The reason is that the CPU does calculate the physics but when your pushing the GFX especially with DX11/DX10 and you have a physics event like a building crumbling all those dust, smoke and particles need to be animated as efficiently as possible. The CPU is important and it most defiantly will cause you performance problems if it's not up to snuff I whole heartedly agree with you on that, but keep in mind that GPUs are now doing a lot more when it comes to DX11/DX10 instructions, so with out powerful GFX configuration to back up the CPU your going to cause a bottle neck and lose performance.

Last edited:

Kayden

Tech Monkey
Guys this is fake info. EA has not even released the minimum requirements yet. One thing that tipped me off was this:

Now why would the disc version be bigger than the digital?

http://www.enterbf3.com/viewtopic.php?t=2639&sid=4a5f55a78eb4f779a60384ddb68892ed

Well until it's official everything regarding sys req should be taken with a grain of salt to be honest. The disc req btw did catch my eye too as well but I honestly did not think anything of it because I have seen that sort of discrepancy before between digital download and physical media. Just to be through I checked 4 different sites, 2 for digital (Steam & D2D) and 2 for physical (Amazon & Gamestop) for BFBC2 and the DVD req 10GB install but the digital copy is 15GB. There is a discrepancy even with that game, granted the other direction but it's there.

Also I read your post on that site TCS and BFBC2 isn't DX11 intense bro, they only have it enabled for some filters and other stuff. I went looking for that info and found it over at Guru3d interview back in Feb 2010

PCGH: Can you confirm that the PC version utilizes DirectX 11 (at GDC 2009, Johan Andersson showed some cool rendering features)? If yes, what were the deciding technical advantages of the DX11 API? In what way does it allow you to optimize or simplify the rendering process (we’ve heard you’re using Direct Compute for deferred shading)?

Anders Gyllenberg: Yes we can confirm that we support Dx11. The main benefits for us are efficient soft shadowmap filtering, and some smaller performance optimizations.

If you REALLY want to test DX11 on your machine before BF3 comes out get a hold of Crysis 2, Dragon Age 2 or Total War Shogun 2. Those really push DX11 only features like Tessellation, DDOF and other things that BFBC2 doesn't even touch and we know will be in BF3. Also for a benchmark utility try 3D Mark 11 or Unigine Heaven programs, they run DX11 features hardcore. My benchmark for 3d Mark 11 Advanced is X4274 and P10943, with the Unigine at 1920x1080 8x AA, 16x AF, Tess Extreme and Stereo 3d off I got 1542.

Just trying to help you make the best informed decision about where to go to next for your upgrade bro (cpu or gpu), I hope this helps.

TheCrimsonStar

Tech Monkey
Eh I'm still going to get the 6870 sapphire vapor-x version. I'm going to need that if I hope to max out BF3 completely.

Thanks for the benchmarking info...I'm not much of a benchmarking person to be honest. I've used Furmark and Cinebench but that's about it, and only used them once or twice.

RainMotorsports

Partition Master
Good shit kayden. Im gonna go smack my columbian friend and ask him to show me what the hell he was seeing during the level load tests. There rarely is any official information on the engines threading.

As far as what I read that still stands as written on paper. As i said I can only go off what I can get from others and the info you gave me is good. As well as a good source that says different.

The HT allows a low priority thread waiting to be put through the execution stage to take advantage of the down time when the priority thread has a cache miss or is waiting for additional data. Games don't have a lot of low priority threads and alot of their work is sequential and dependent on the result of a previous thread. Making HT not an advantage at times and occasionally a burden.

Now as I will often throw back in on the 6 core. Were running the game on 4 cores, doesn't mean we cant utilize the other two cores. Mind you most of us would rather not have more than necessary going on. I could leave my single threaded image converter which will chew up a single core going with a 3,000 image task while I go game. I sadly cant do crap at the moment when that things going. Same architecture at the same clock speed doesn't hurt to have more cores most of the time. Truth as it usually is the higher core count chips often don't come clocked as high.

I cant wait to get off this dual core pos lol. Though my first sandy bridge chip is going to be 4 core, Im hopping on the ivy bandwagon before i spend real money.

Last edited: