OCZ RevoDrive 120GB PCI Express SSD

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Looking to upgrade your PC with a fast SSD? How fast do you want it? If you answered "ultra fast", then OCZ's RevoDrive is worth a look. With read speeds of 500MB/s and beyond, a PCI Express interface, and a modest price premium, this SSD is hard to ignore. We're on the bleeding-edge here, though, so this drive isn't without a few caveats.

You can read Robert's in-depth look at OCZ's highest-end consumer SSD and then discuss it here!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Despite some of the issues this thing might have... the sheer speed it offers makes it hard for me to look away. I can just imagine how smooth this could make any OS... tempting. I do wish that a "secure erase" tool was available now though, that would make the purchasing decision a whole lot easier.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
If OCZ is able to develop their tool to manually TRIM the drive, then I don't see why it couldn't also offer the ability to secure erase one back to factory-new performance.

The batch test performance is simply amazing, but even a single SF-1200 in the Vertex 2 is able to keep the system fully responsive. I just can't discern a difference between fully responsive and fully responsive ;)

looisboo

Obliviot
Nice review rob, this is the best pci ssd ever and also affordable and bootable and so much more... I hope intel changes the game with the new ssd in q4 :).

U

Unregistered

Revo and Games

Im in the thought of buying a new computer with the following hardware and wondering if the Revo is so much better than a Raid0 of two Intel x25 as the test conclusion is that its fast ( of course) but so is SSD discs in general. Could the Intel i7 or motherboard be the "slowing" part or is this a good set up.

The machine is to run Win7 with some programs in the backround but formost up to 5-6 Lineage 2 accounts, i know for a fact that Lineage 2 demands lots of HDD work initailly for loading new areas, about 300-500 of the Ram per client, and i have never seen a benchmark with this game or with multiboxing, and im curios on the take on this.

forgive my bad english, not english speaking.

2 ASUS GEFORCE GTX 460 DIRECT CU 768MB DDR5 PCI-E
ASUS P6T DELUXE V2 X58 S-1366 ATX
CORSAIR 12GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I7 9XX PC12800 1600MHZ (6X2GB)
CORSAIR HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V
INTEL CORE I7 930 2.8GHZ 8MB S-1366
OCZ REVO DRIVE PCI-EXPRESS 4X SSD 120GB

And also im wondering about the information regarding the installation of Win7 as you and another site wrote about putting a few RAID drivers to a USB drive and load them before the Windows 7 setup can detect the drive for installation. Is the drivers on a CD or on the web?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I am not the one to answer this since Kougar is the SSD man, but I'd have to imagine that SSDs would greatly improve the performance of multiboxing because of the fast read speeds and low latencies. I can't state that for sure, though, and while I also play Lineage 2, I don't run it on an SSD.

As for the RAID drivers, I believe those are found here: http://www.ocztechnology.com/drivers/Revo_Drive/

You'd have to copy to a thumb drive and use them during the install. I'll let Kougar give more detail on it though since I am not familiar with the process personally.

U

Unregistered

SV: Revo and Games

Thanks for the reply. Feeling like i should have looked on thier website before asking, but thanks.

Is there any way you can benchmark a computer with software and choosing a couple of things it should do, like you did in the "Real-World: Batch Tests" Did u actually do this on the computer or was it simulated? If there is a software, where can i get it and can u edit the test to diffrent thins and run games iex.

Also regarding the test: AS SSD in the writing test Revo was in the middle with all staples longer than most, i didn´t get what you where testing and the conlusion was hard to understand.

Regards Per.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Is there any way you can benchmark a computer with software and choosing a couple of things it should do, like you did in the "Real-World: Batch Tests" Did u actually do this on the computer or was it simulated? If there is a software, where can i get it and can u edit the test to diffrent thins and run games iex.

I'll let Kougar reply to your other points, but for this one, it's not "simulated" per se, but it's hands off. We wrote a Windows batch script that has all of the commands in it that launch one thing after another. This is the only way we could achieve reliable performance data since it executes the same exact way every time.

Kougar might be able to post his batch file here to show you what it looks like, but some of the applications it launches, you might not have.