Western Digital VelociRaptor 600GB

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Solid-state may be the future of our storage, but for now, the prices for the latest SSD's (even value models) is still far too high on the $/GB scale. For those looking for mass storage and still-great speeds, mechanical storage is still on top, and WD's latest VelociRaptor's, which utilize SATA 3.0, sit comfortably above all the rest.

You can read the rest of Bill's review here.

looisboo

Obliviot
Nice review. Funny thing is i was searching for this same velociraptor on ebay like 2 days ago and didn't found not even 1??

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
I don't believe there are many in the retail channel as of yet. I would expect to see them start coming to market in good quantities very soon.

Psi*

Tech Monkey
do we still like this HDD ... the most?

Or at least mostly more than most others?

This is the 450 GB version. Also, can anyone give me good arguments for 1 TB+ HDDs? I have one ... a really cheap Hitachi. Defragging this thing is impossibly too long ... a weekend I think?:eek: Or maybe I am a prime candidate for Diskeeper 11? It is suggested there that DK 11 *knows* the drive so well that mass defragging will not be necessary. Given the one and only one experience I gave to the Hitachi drive, maybe DK 11's constant vigilance is the answer?????

But I am starting to like the Thermaltake BlacX Docking Station. So the DK 11 monitoring is kind of negated ... I would think?:confused:

Or, practically thinking, does it make sense that docking station make sense only for HDDs <<1 TB? Or, only use docking stations on the computer running DK 11? And, then I wonder how smart this software is? If it could recognize after some period of time (many minutes?) that, "OH! I have a different HDD as drive "F" ... lets get a new smart map & we are good." That would be a good thing.

I hope that this comes across coherently ...

Tharic-Nar

Senior Editor
Staff member
1TB drives = more pr0n... i mean, storage...

Seriously though, if you store a lot of stuff, or have large files to contend with, higher density storage helps, it's cheaper, more space and power efficiently to go with larger drives. Typically anyway.

To defrag a large drive, shouldn't take days, i assume you are using the built in windows defragger, in which case, yeah, it's slow. Diskeeper defrags much faster and in only one pass. The extra monitoring it does only really works if the drive is used regularly and left hooked up for extended periods - and you need it to be ultra clean 24/7. After a while though, the amount of work required on the drive drops exponentially to a small 5 min check every now and then, depending on usage. It likes to juggle files around so that unused files are put at the end of the drive, and it's that process that can slow things down.

The good news is, you can disable the Inteliwrite etc, and only use manual defrags on external storage. And yes, it's smart enough to know that a different drive is in the dock, as soon as you unplug it, it'll notice, since it changes the model number, it just thinks it's another removable storage device. Just remember to run the safely remove process, otherwise you good yank it in the middle of a defrag.

Using a dock for <1TB.... makes no difference. Docks/enclosures just slows the defrag process down a little due to the interface. eSATA and USB3 will speed things up a bit, but not by a huge margin, at least for defragging anyway.

Those docks are cool, i have the USB3 one for when i get new MB sorted, works fine over USB2 too. I just disable the real time monitoring on diskeeper for removable drives- it leaves them alone so i can't run a manual defrag every now and then - for when it's needed anyway.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Jamie did a good job explaining what Diskeeper 11 is all about. When compared to the built-in defragger in Windows, there's just no comparison. Diskeeper allows you to have the "set it and forget" Ronco mentality, because you can quite literally prepare it once, and let it handle itself from that point forward. You will never have to launch the program to defrag, because due to how it works, your drives will ALWAYS be defragged, or at least close to it.

If you are not a data-hungry person, then a super-large drive isn't going to seem that appealing. It really depends on what your needs are. If you don't install a ton of super-heavy games, or want to store lots of HD content, then the need for huge storage becomes less severe.

The VelociRaptor, as before, is still the king for those who want the best of both worlds... good speed and good storage capabilities (vs. slow speed and huge storage capabilities and super-fast speed and low storage capabilities).