Is NVIDIA's GF100 Broken and Unfixable?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I don't understand the fanboy mentality here. It's kind of foolish when you'd absolutely refuse to go with either an ATI or NVIDIA card simply because of the name, even if the product happens to be far better. I think at this point it's almost a sickness. I used to prefer NVIDIA cards, but then I moved over to ATI's, because they were better. If NVIDIA comes back and takes the crown, I'll have no problem moving back over to being a fan of that team. It makes no sense to maim yourself just for the sake of patronage to some company.

Relayer said:
No doubt in my mind either that they're going to sell everyone they have, immediately.

That's not going to be hard if supplies are as low as they're rumored to be ;-)

b1lk1 said:
If the GTX480 is under $600 then AMD will price adjust where needed. If not then AMD will not do it. In fact, unless it is under $450, I doubt we'll see any real pricing movements on AMD's part.

I agree... there would just be no reason to. At the end of the day, it looks like ATI's cards are going to be the better value. But of course nothing's official until NVIDIA finally releases the pricing.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The strangest part of video card fanboyism is that it is the most prevalent amongst all PC peripherals. No other component has such a love hate following. I know my ATI-ism is irrational and makes no sense. I have purposely bought lesser performing cards plenty of times in my life and even I wonder what the hell am I thinking when I do it.

crowTrobot

E.M.I.
haha i know what you mean. It's probably because there's only two to choose from.

As for motherboards. I can't even decide which I am a fan of. I like Gigabyte boards, great price, great performance but I don't like the look and the colors (petty I know). I like Asus boards' performance, sometimes the price is decent, and they look frackin cool. EVGA is pretty solid but more expensive usually and only really offer overclockibility the higher you go up in price range. I'd like to see MSI get up there, they finally have decent looking boards but a lot of people still don't like them. They are pretty good price/performance wise right now with their p55 and am3 lines although i don't like any of their x58 boards.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
The strangest part of video card fanboyism is that it is the most prevalent amongst all PC peripherals. No other component has such a love hate following.

Why not? Gamers are a crazy bunch, and the GPU is the most important part of a gaming computer, even more so than the processor.

Doomsday

Tech Junkie
I don't understand the fanboy mentality here. It's kind of foolish when you'd absolutely refuse to go with either an ATI or NVIDIA card simply because of the name, even if the product happens to be far better. I think at this point it's almost a sickness. I used to prefer NVIDIA cards, but then I moved over to ATI's, because they were better. If NVIDIA comes back and takes the crown, I'll have no problem moving back over to being a fan of that team. It makes no sense to maim yourself just for the sake of patronage to some company.

Aaye that be true! :D

Relayer

E.M.I.
Some people actually harbor pretty strong hatred for the opposing brand. As of late, typically you can get about the same performance for a bit less money from ATI. It's looking like this round the difference might be a bit more exaggerated though. At least in pricing.

The leaked benches floating around are showing far less difference in performance than was originally claimed by Nvidia. Small enough that the overclocking ability of Cypress might be able to make up the stagger. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the higher binned 5870 don't match the GTX-480. If the clock figures are correct, 625Mhz, then I don't hold out much hope for the Nvidia cards being able to be overclocked out of it. I mean, let's face it, if Nvidia had processors that could make higher clocks consistently than the lowered stock clocks, they probably would have released the cards before now.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The leaked benches floating around are showing far less difference in performance than was originally claimed by Nvidia. Small enough that the overclocking ability of Cypress might be able to make up the stagger.

That's kind of worrying, especially if the rumors of hot chips prove true, because even then, the user couldn't overclock their NVIDIA card to improve things even further.