CES 2010: AMD's Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series GPUs

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The wait for AMD's Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series is soon over, and there's a lot to be looking forward to. Like the desktop equivalents, the mobile parts feature improved performance and power consumption over last-gen, DirectX 11 support, and even the ability to take advantage of the Eyefinity multi-monitor technology.

You can read our look at ATI's upcoming mobile GPUs here and discuss it here.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
The graphs are a little misleading (the x-axis starts at 80/75 instead of 0).

But all in all, very excited. While the performance boost is a little lower than expected (though still the best in its class), the lower power consumption is where this card will shine. Can't wait to see some data on the later!

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I think that graphing trick is ridiculous, and it's used all too often. It's easier to spot with so much of it out there, though. Either way, I did hope the performance would be far improved, but the HD 5870 is still looking to be one heck of a mobile GPU, especially from what I saw in AMD's suite.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
From what I hear the mobile 5870 is equivalent to a desktop 4870.... but it's still a nice ~20% boost above NVIDIA's best mobile chip. I think a few form of cooling technology will have to finally reach mainstream (like silicon chips with watercooling channels in them as IBM had developed) or some other means before mobile GPU's will get anywhere near the performance of their desktop brethren.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From what I hear the mobile 5870 is equivalent to a desktop 4870.... but it's still a nice ~20% boost above NVIDIA's best mobile chip.

When put that way, it sounds even better, because the HD 4870 is hardly a slouch, given it can run any current game at 2560x1600 just fine. Just imagine the detail settings you could apply at lower resolutions. I can't wait to test a notebook with one of these babies equipped in it.

gibbersome

Coastermaker
When put that way, it sounds even better, because the HD 4870 is hardly a slouch, given it can run any current game at 2560x1600 just fine. Just imagine the detail settings you could apply at lower resolutions. I can't wait to test a notebook with one of these babies equipped in it.

Agreed, thanks Kougar for putting that in perspective.

After the announcement of the Nvidia GTS 360M card this week, I was quite disappointed. The card only supports DirectX 10 and is just a rebranded 260M. It offers 413 Gflops vs the HD 5650's 572 Gflops.

Rumor is that Nvidia's Fermi is being reserved for the 380M.