Func sUrface1030 Archetype

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Gamers don't want to put up with subpar equipment... they want the best. Seeing that high-end hardware can be extremely expensive, it's good to start with the modest mousepad! Today, we are taking a look at the Func sUrface 1030 mousepad, which looks to offer much more to the gamer than other pads on the market.

Discuss the full review right here! Before you ask, yes, I do like it THAT much :)

Shadow_1

Obliviot
Hi Rob,

Nice Review. I've been looking into buying one of these babies for awhile now, but I've been debating between the func surface 1030, and the func surface 1030 Archetype. There must be some kind of difference involved.

Damn, I hate it when one company makes more than one excellent product competing against itself (Logitech mouses :D).

Got any ideas what the differences are between these 2 mousepads? Or is the Archetype just a newer version of the original? So, you were able to use your mx518 comfortably on both sides of the mat? Sounds like a great choice for anyone.

Thanks

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Muddy, I wish I had an IceMat here to compare it to :-/

Shadow_1, I believe that because this is dual sided, one is the Archetype surface and the opposite is the sUrface1030. So technically, you get both types with this one mousepad.

Yup, I could use my MX518 on both sides just fine. I really love this mousepad.

U

Unregistered

Func Rep

Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in on your thread but I was reading the review and thought I might take the opportunity to directly respond to a question posed here ...

The differences between the sUrface1030 Archetype and the original sUrface1030 are that:

1. The Archetype is larger - 11.5"x9.5" Archetype / 10"x8.5" Original
2. The Archetype has a hard base with a soft-feel coating - the original has a soft rubber base
3. The Archetype has an improved cord clip design
4. It is also available in an MBA version - basically the base for the MBA version has been machined out of a solid block of aluminum alloy ($40 USD). The standard soft-feel hard base version, as the review mentions, is $25.

The surface textures are the same as those developed for the original 1030 and both are customizable through the ClanGear program.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Nice to have the Rep show up to get things really clear...now I feel ready to get a new mousepad....not that my Ratpadz treated me bad, but because it's getting rather old and the 'balding' of the surface plastic seriously hampers smoothe mouse movement. Yup...FPS seriously demands oscilation on the same spot, so I have spots that my MX518 makes contact with the pad!

U

Unregistered

Perhaps you should question fUnC as to the availability of their Archetype products. It's all very well and nice for reviewers to be able to get their hands on the stuff but what is the use if other games out there can't even buy it.

Up until recently their website said “sold out†for the MBA version, with new stock expected January 2006. Newegg lists the mouse pad as “out of stockâ€. Here in Australia we haven't yet even received one Archetype for sale.

Yes they make excellent products, but paper launches suck!

U

Unregistered

Did you even read the links you posted?

It clearly says "Out of Stock" for BOTH those products.

And do you know what else... Those ETAs arn't reliable either because I have been watching them for a few weeks and everytime the date comes around it slips again!

Clearly something is wrong with fUnC availability and I would like answers.

Shadow_1

Obliviot
A fellow Aussie eh :), yeah, it's hard to find things over here. All I could find through a quick search was the func surface 1030 (not archetype) to be bought in Australia.

I just wish there were more retailers like Newegg that operated in Australia.

U

Unregistered

Nintek and GamerzStuff will both be stocking fUnC Archetype products when fUnC actually bother to send a shipment out here....

http://www.nintek.com.au/x/scripts/prodList.asp

I spoke to someone from fUnC in early December and they told me product was actually on the way to Australia and its been over 1 month and there is no sign of it.

madmat

Soup Nazi
I wonder what it's like getting through customs, I don't think it would take that long mind you but depending upon the shipment method among other things...for all we know the fUnC stuff could be setting in a warehouse somewhere in Australia tied up in red tape or "lost" in shipping. Hopefully it gets there soon though, I live in the middle of nowhere here in the States and I might as well be in the outback as we've got about the same resources as there are out there.

Hopefully Rob can find out what's going on for you.

U

Unregistered

Func Rep

We had product shipping around the world before the launch announcement back in November and some of our resellers were even taking preorders from customers I believe. This situation with the 'out of stock' issue is simply a result of the demand being very high for the product. We apologize to anyone who is having trouble purchasing the product but the problem is very temporary and typical when a brand new product first comes out as such demand is difficult to predict.

Our Australian resellers specifically were a little later than most placing an order and, since demand in other regions ate up much of the first production run, there has been some delay with product being available there. We aren't happy about this either but product will be available through the resellers there soon as product is either in transit or customs. We definitely appreciate the patience of our customers in the region and we have already taken steps to try to increase our presense there. I would suggest that, if you do not find Func products at your favorite retailer or online store, that you indicate to the reseller that you would like to see the products made available.

NewEgg and many other resellers simply sold out over the holidays. We have been producing throughout the period and are responding to our resellers order requests without delay.

Overall, we are doing everything we can to make sure that gamers who want to buy our products have access to them but we feel great that the products have been in such demand because we put a lot of thought into this product and are very proud of it.

With the sUrface1030 Archetype in particular, we really didn’t want to cut any corners, especially considering the history of the original 1030. Everything from the redesigned cord clip to the feet that hold the base in place have been painstakingly researched and perfected and we feel that it is the clearly the best mousing surface on the market.

Of course that's a biased opinion ;) but we hope you guys agree.

madmat

Soup Nazi
Awesome, I'm glad to see a rep that's not afraid to get involved!

Thanks for the heads up! Maybe I'll be able to get my hands on one after I've moved where they don't tell you to go to Wal*Mart when you ask about a mouse pad after giving you a blank stare for 5 minutes after asking about a mousing surface....