Five Incredible Home Cinema Setups

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
In our previous posting, we talked about Thermaltake's new "luxury" offerings, but I'm willing to bet that despite its luxury tag, the products could still be purchased by anyone who has a keen desire to own one. Luxury to me, is a status that should be awarded to products that are actually difficult to acquire, and much more expensive than the norm, whether it be a rumbling Ferrari, an exquisite Blancpain watch, a freshly-pressed Armani suit, a lock of Britney Spears' hair, or... how about, a home cinema setup?

Digital Trends takes a look at a few impressive home setups, and if you are at all a movie buff, you might want to look away if you are known to spontaneously drool. It's one thing to purchase a huge TV, a sweet sound system and other killer hardware, but it's another to completely deck out a room to actually look like a small theater, and if you have the cash, it would be hard to resist such a thing.

Some examples here are simply astonishing. Most are complete with plush seating, a massive projector, intricate attention to room styling, and even a concession stand. Some even include a mannequin server! One interesting design (seen below) even splits the seating into two sections - one being the regular seating, and the other being at a "bar" directly behind it. I think "dream theaters" is a very appropriate term here.

home_theatre_setup_021809.jpg

Some people have houses as big as this theater, which is a sprawling 2,600 square feet and measures 28 by 40 feet with 12-foot ceilings. ""I believe the homeowner envisioned that allocating a large amount of space for this theater would pay dividends in regard to the use his family would get from it," says Bob Gullo, president of Electronics Design Group, Inc, in Piscataway, NJ. It’s no surprise then, that the theater also cost as much to build as some people spend on their entire abode and took 548 hours to build.

Source: Digital Trends

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Anand has a progress blog going with updates on his personal home theater that he's building himself. It's pretty frickin' awesome.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yeah, his is coming along great as well, from what I've seen of it. It would be nice to have both the room and cash for a "proper" home cinema setup... some examples here are amazing. You might run into a problem where buddies want to come over all the time, though, hah.

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Wow.... Honestly though I didn't like a few of those setups, especially that 2,600sqft room with a bar. The main seats looked to be a little to far back and anyone using the bar would need some binoculars to use that small screen! If you are going to go through such lengths to build an indoor movie theater, then it needs to be based around the screen size/distance as to give it a large-screen feel.

I guess that's why I rather liked the last one on that site, any closer and that screen would be a bit too large, but it still would feel like an actual movie theater due to the size. It's also impressive how they in effect made one room double as two yet still serve both roles very well, very cool. :)

Can you imagine having a star trek Enterprise bridge room? It's interesting and might be fun, but I suspect it would grow old after awhile... especially since that one got blown up. :D

BlindMonk

E.M.I.
Well there is this little work of fandom. (As one might expect this "enterprise" bankrupted the poor soul who - bitter irony - looks to share a fate similar to that of the Voyager crew.)

Complete aside: the very first username I used was Khugar, pronounced like yours. Folks persistently turned it into K. Huger, though.