We have been right all along.

Krazy K

Partition Master
I hate getting into arguments about why our PCs are better than any console out there and PC World has compiled the list.

Read it here.

moon111

Coastermaker
I use my computer for... a computer. And guess what? It'll also play games. Neat huh? Trying to type your resume out using a Wii remote just doesn't make sense.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Let's hear it for gaming on the PC! The PC platform for gaming is infinitely more extensible that a console, because I can upgrade my graphics, processing, and audio horsepower simply by making a run to the Fry's, instead of waiting years for the next-generation console to come out. While today's current consoles are certainly hot tickets in the way of the processing and graphics power that's currently being packed inside, it's never long before they begin to lag behind the level of performance that's available from even a mid-range gaming PC. Got a mid-end R700-based video card like the Radeon HD3870 mated to an upper-end quad-core Intel CPU? You've got a rig on your hands that not only matches the Xbox 360, but toasts it handily. And my PC is way quieter than any Xbox 360 I've ever heard.

Last edited:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had an XBox360 and sold it, I couldnt get accustomed to the small controler after using keyboard and mouse

Krazy K

Partition Master
I work with a guy that bought a 360 and CoD4. He asks me for hints and I tell him just hit 5 for your C4 or 6 to call in the airstrike. Then it dawns on me that he has what like 7 buttons, and we have no less 104 plus two on the mouse at our disposal? The interface is that much better, and like Rory says with discrete components you can replace the slowest part and it only gets better.

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
I work with a guy that bought a 360 and CoD4. He asks me for hints and I tell him just hit 5 for your C4 or 6 to call in the airstrike. Then it dawns on me that he has what like 7 buttons, and we have no less 104 plus two on the mouse at our disposal? The interface is that much better, and like Rory says with discrete components you can replace the slowest part and it only gets better.

Well, technically some mice can almost offer as many controls as any controller. Fully directional movement, 2-main buttons, 2-secondary buttons, clickable scrollwheel... that's six "buttons" not counting movement. And that's not even a gaming mouse. :D

Krazy K

Partition Master
Yup, but I was giving them the minimalist point of view. You get serious and you have gamepads and gaming mice and a controller stands no chance.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
The PC vs. Console debate will go on for as long as they both exist, and I think it comes down to what each person prefers. Some prefer an ultimate value and simplicity, and then go for a console. Those who prefer to have the best graphics available and the utmost flexibitity will run towards the PC.

There are a couple of reasons I like the PC. First is the keyboard and mouse, and while you can use both of these for many games on the console, none of the games were truly designed for it. On the PC, you have some fantastic FPS games that are designed with that control scheme in mind, and for the most part, gameplay feels far more natrual than with a gamepad.

Another reason is the modding and hacking ability. On the PC, it's so easy to dive into files and change values, or download full mod-packs for games. Just take a look at how many Total Conversions there are for games based on the Source engine... it's staggering. You can't get anything like that for a console.

Then there's the ability to crank up the graphics levels, and get some gorgeous gameplay. On consoles, you are stuck to a low resolution and lacking AA. If you have a decent monitor on the PC, most any current GPU is going to be able to exceed the graphics levels on console games, with ease. Things change dramatically with the high-end. Sure, grabbing a 30" monitor and using 2560x1600 on a high-end GPU configuration isn't going to be for everyone, but at least the option is there. The PC is definitely scalable, whereas the console is not.

There's a reason I own consoles and a PC though... they both have their pros and cons.