Far Cry 2

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Got the game yesterday from Best Buy ( about the only thing I get from B B )
And of course it has the SecuRom protection, which I had to bypass as usual.
Always a hack to play the game you bought...huh.
I have the game all maxed out and getting 60 FPS and temps at 42*C
Check out a part of the game
I have two there so far

Merlin

MakubeX

Partition Master
FC2 plays very well on a 4870X2 as well (unlike Crysis).

Settings:
1600x1200, 2xAA
Everything in Ultra High except shadows which are Very High
Win XP

rsepue.jpg

2nvavd3.jpg

1pgtug.jpg

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
That game looks sick! I have it downloaded on Steam, but haven't even had a chance to look at the menu screen. Looking forward though.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I'm planning on purchasing, but does anybody have any suggestions on whether I should buy retail or from Steam?

Odds are, it'll be the latter, but I've found the retail version for pretty cheap, even with shipping.

http://www.gogamer.com/Far-Cry-2--I...D=2202820&PID=1225267&SID=u0t0f0fp14897c0s710

Somebody mentioned having to bypass protection on the retail version....
Far Cry 2 on DVD has SecuRom protection, if your DVD drive is good, no problem,
As for mine, I had to hack a game that I bought, but it runs fine after that.

Merlin

Last edited:

Kougar

Techgage Staff
Staff member
Advantage to media... you don't need to wait an hour to reinstall the game. Disadvantage, you can't always redownlaod and install via steam. You must also install patches each time... Steam games are fully patched before they are sent to you. Media also requires keys, but steam games are validated by steam.

I noticed this with Company of Heroes Opposing Fronts... I needed 800MB of patches, by the time I would of downloaded them I may have been able to fully download the game off steam. Certainly after I spent 20 minutes running around 6 patches... steam would of been quicker.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'll admit... I tried this game out for our benchmarking article, and I can't say that I'm the least bit impressed. I knew that Far Cry 2 wasn't destined as a direct sequel to the original, but my question is, why is it named Far Cry 2, then? To sell more copies, that's why.

The graphics are fantastic when cranked up, but graphics don't make a game. I found the general UI a little clunky, and if there is a mini-map somewhere, I certainly couldn't find it. I'd also like to know why it takes eight bullets to the chest before someone will keel over and die. If only real-life was like this!

I won't shun the game until I can actually play it further for non-benchmarking purposes, but out of the five new games included in our roundup, this is the only one that didn't have me drooling for more.