ASUS at Computex 2008

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
One of the dominating companies at Computex was ASUS, and because of the sheer amount of products on display, we've decided to dedicate an article to the most interesting ones. Included inside is a look at their new motherboards, audio cards, Eee PC accessories and much more.

You can take a look at the look right here and discuss it here.

ASUS' displays were almost overwhelming. At CES, they are pretty much hid behind a fortress, and don't have near as many products on display, so their Computex display really impressed me.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
It's interesting about the HDMI card.
IMHO optical will Always be better than HDMI due to the fact that HDMI carries image with the sound. A dedicated source for sound to speakers such as optical and not to the monitor or TV as HDMI does.
And I still believe ( from experience in the field ) Componant or DVI D gives JUST as good, if not better than HDMI.

Merlin

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Hey, everyone; Rory here.

Regarding the new HDMI Xonar cards' ability to pass video, I'm not sure about the ASUS Xonar HDMI, but the ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 supports video passthrough via its HDMI 1.3a-compliant HDMI ports -- which means that it would be your choice for a home theater PC. I anticipate that this could be the source of quite a bit of confusion when customers go to choose a sound card for their home theater PC. Honestly, if the Xonar HDMI doesn't support simple video signal passthrough, I think that would be a big mistake on ASUS' part.

The ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3 sound card also integrates an ASUS Splendid HD Video processor on-board, which adds post-processing to the video signal path that improves contrast and color accuracy.

I'm also liking the look of the Eee box -- it's really a step forward in inexpensive desktop PCs, though I wouldn't use it anywhere that upgradability is a concern.

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
And I still believe ( from experience in the field ) Componant or DVI D gives JUST as good, if not better than HDMI.

Not from my experience... at least with the Component connector. My Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 looks a lot better with HDMI connected to my 30" monitor than it does when using Component. It might depend on the display, though. I would imagine HDMI would have greater capabilities overall though, given it was released long after DVI and Component.

As for DVI, I haven't really done a direct comparison there.

Hey, everyone; Rory here.

Your username kind of gives that away ;)

I'm also liking the look of the Eee box -- it's really a step forward in inexpensive desktop PCs, though I wouldn't use it anywhere that upgradability is a concern.

I agree... the Eee Box looked really good in person. It can sit like a Nintendo Wii, but is smaller overall. It has nice styling, and could be something you'd actually be happy to have sitting next to the TV or monitor. Of course, that's until you have many wires from it... which is one reason wireless peripherals would be a perfect match.

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Ok, folks, here are my complete thoughts on the new Xonar sound cards.

Xonar HDMI - This card really pushes the state of the HTPC forward, since it allows an HTPC to be fully integrated into a home theater setup where the receiver (integrated amplifier, tuner, preamplifier, signal switching) has HDMI-switching ability. The card doesn't have analog audio outputs, but that's no problem for a card that's specifically intended to be built into a HTPC and connected to a receiver via HDMI. While the Xonar HDMI has the low-profile form factor of the Xonar DX and D1, it uses the higher-quality AV200 audio processor and manages a SNR of 120dB through its digital outputs.

Xonar HDAV1.3 - When you just need more, the HDAV 1.3 card offers stereo line-level inputs as well as optical/coaxial and HDMI digital audio outputs. The card is compliant with the newer HDMI 1.3a standard, but the ordinary Xonar HDMI model appears to be as well, simply coming in the smaller form factor of the Xonar DX and D1. The HDAV1.3 also adds ASUS' Splendid HD Video processor, which provides post-processing effects on the HDMI video pass-through channel. The SNR has also been boosted from the Xonar D2's 118dB spec to a higher 120dB spec, cutting noise nearly in half again when compared to the D2 (3dB is approximately equivalent to a 2x increase). If you're building a reference-quality HTPC, this is the sound card to have, by far. However, if you want analog outputs, you'll need to be sure that you pick up the "Deluxe" version of the package, which includes the daughtercard with the entire 8-channel analog output stage on it.

Xonar Stereo, StereoX - This card from ASUS provides a new all-in-one solution for small-time digital audio workstation use, providing a TRS connection through which a low-Z microphone may be connected. ASUS manages to coax 120dB SNR from their AV100 audio processor, though the Xonar D1 and DX cards are only listed as capable of a 116dB SNR despite the fact that they use the same audio processor. I'm not sure what's goign on here. The card has a built-in headphone amplifier with up to 1 watt of drive power, which means that high-impedance headphones like my Beyerdynamic DT770 headphones (250-ohm version) can be used to fuller effect. Users of lower-impedance headphones will also notice fuller, stouter bass and improved dynamic range, as well as improved imaging. The card supports a complete set of Dolby home theater technologies, through the card's SPDIF output. However, Dolby Virtual Speaker will come in handy here -- since the card only has two output channels. Only the Xonar StereoX card was on display, but a PCI version of the card is also planned.

Xonar D1 - When we reviewed this card's PCI-Express version (the DX) in May on Techgage, it impressed us with the way that it delivered much of the capability of the Xonar D2 and D2X sound cards, and embarrassed the Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Edition when it came to audio quality. It couldn't quite hang with the X-Fi in the area of CPU usage during playback of a large number of simultaneous 3D voices with EAX, but the same is true of all the Xonar audio cards due to their DSP being handled in software. The Xonar DX looked to us like a great option for a sound card upgrade, and we were perplexed at why a PCI version wasn't also on offer. Now the PCI version has arrived in the D1, and ASUS is effectively putting the rest of the sound card market on notice with what looks to be a class-beating upgrade option for older PCs.

Xonar U2W - With the Xonar U2W, ASUS adds Dolby Wireless capability to the external U2 sound card, creating a means of transmitting high-quality audio between rooms. While the external audio processor only offers a SNR of 100dB, the ability to stream audio between rooms is a benefit that can't be overlooked, which is why this is such an exciting new product.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Man, that just about says it all,
Great presentation, even with no images.
Consise and to the point.

Now, mostly I have seen what HDMI does with flat panel displays ( TV's ) in the firld. Samsung, SONY, Hitachi, Sharp, Mitsubisi and Pioneer Elite.

It could be the HDMI cards here, would offer a new opinion, if I were to see one in action with Hi Def monitors.
And now there is word of new cards with Heterogeneous factors in the makes. So even more graphic power.
Merlin

Last edited: