SteelSeries Ikari Laser Mouse

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
SteelSeries feels their competition is doing things wrong, but does that mean they are doing things right? After taking a look at their Ikari laser mouse, we can wholeheartedly say "yes"! The Ikari is catered for gamers, and it shows. Simply put? The Ikari is the best mouse we've ever laid our hands on.

You can read Nate's full review here and then discuss it here!

NicePants42

Partition Master
I'm glad I downloaded the software for both the laser and optical versions - while they're both called Ikari, the differences are much more than simply laser/optical.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
Just read through your review Nate. If I can say anything about it at all it's that it made me laugh. Especially your second paragraph... how true is that?

While I have found the perfect keyboard (personal preference) in the Eclipse II, I have yet to be swept off my feet by a mouse. The Razer Death Adder was close but to this day, I still use my archaic MX518. It's simple and comfortable but still just a mouse. Nothing has stood head and shoulders above the rest for me yet.

Regardless, great review.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Yes, that was a fantastic review Nate. I appreciate the amount of testing you put each peripheral you evaluate through, and I'm sure our readers feel the same way.

That said, I'm definitely thinking about getting one of these.

W

wumples

Thanks for the review

Good review pity it looks like I am left out for a good quality (gaming/general) mouse again.... DAMN being a lefty!!!!!!

U

Unregistered

Ikari Vs Others

Hey just 2 days ago i snapped the receiver of my G7 and have been researching mice. Are you able to offer any advice on the Ikari vs G9 vs DeathAdder... I'm caught between the 3 of them. :(

Cheers!

NicePants42

Partition Master
I have no experience with the G9, and almost none with the DeathAdder.

However, if past experience with Razer and Logitech products count for anything, I'd say that the Ikari Laser wins out in terms of useful features. The DeathAdder and Ikair have a similar feel, and I think both are extremely comfortable. Last I checked, pricing tended to favor the Ikari as well, although I'm sure that certain hot deals will make price a non-issue.

When in doubt, put your hands on the product and see what feels best, if you can.

U

Unregistered

Problems with the Ikari Laser

Hey there! Superb review of the mouse, really impressing. Although I do have a problem with the Ikari Laser atm, when you want to make a fast and long movement over the whole mousepad, it tends to not register my movements with the mouse, it lags and stops moving. But when I go back to slow and fine movements it's all fine. Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Thanks in advance!

U

Unregistered

I did buy this mouse a few months ago, my good old G7 was usurated.
ergonomic is better than G7, precision is better, had to get used to cable again however...

But, this mouse has a couple of downsides i do not like:

1st problem: you cannot assign a keystroke to a button, you can only assign a marco, this is very very bad because for example: in a game you have to pick up an object and keep the button pressed to hold it, but, with ikary laser macro you cannot do it, because macro only allows for a pre-programmed recorded time of key pressure, this means you cannot keep the mouse button with a macro on it pressed to hold an object, because as soon the macro ends the key is released, very very bad...

2nd problem: games do not recognize buttons 3 and 4 (the lateral ones) this maybe because the default driver of windows does not assign them a pattern, this menas that to use them you have to assign them a macro, wich as stated above as very very bad limitations...

3rd problem: ikary laser profiler fails to update profiles stored in the mouse, have to sistematically crawl to the back of my case and unplug and plug back in the mouse to solve this issue, every time i want to change the profile, wich is necessary because for example Lost Planet does not recognize buttons 3 and 4, an neither key assignemts , and . wich i use in most games to avoid conflicts in chat window, so i have to switch profile, very very bad...

I would suggest steelseries to fix this issues, because i am going to buy a logitech mouse, or more probably try out a razer and see if it suffers from sames issues.

U

Unregistered

Same problem

Hey there! Superb review of the mouse, really impressing. Although I do have a problem with the Ikari Laser atm, when you want to make a fast and long movement over the whole mousepad, it tends to not register my movements with the mouse, it lags and stops moving. But when I go back to slow and fine movements it's all fine. Anyone have any idea of what this could be? Thanks in advance!

I got the same problem. I also know 4 other people that have this problem. If anyone do know anything about this, please give us a guideline.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Here is SteelSeries' response... I hope it helps.

There is no widespread issue with either of the Ikari mice and thus it is unlikely that there is a common denominating cause for the issues. It may be a result of one of the following issues:

1) Software level mouse settings. Certain settings in Windows and in “Steam” games such as Counter-Strike can create software level acceleration and disrupt the tracking of the mouse.

2) USB controller issues. There may be an underlying USB root hub issue between machines or a USB setting that is allowing the mouse to be selectively powered down or suspended.
3) Hardware malfunction with the mouse itself

Since there is no definite cause, I would recommend that you do refer these customers to our support system which can be accessed here:

Http://www.steelseries.com/support

I will be able to assist each customer in an individual manner in this case making sure that the optimal resolution is met.

Some preliminary steps that I would recommend to these customers on your behalf:

- Disable “Enhance pointer precision” in Windows. [Control Panel -> Classic View -> Mouse -> Pointer options tab]

- Try the mouse on another surface to determine whether or not it is contributing to the tracking issue
- For users experiencing the issue specifically in Steam games:

Set #1 (If you open your game through the Steam “Games” menu)

- Open Steam and access the "My Games tab"

- Select the game in which you want to disable acceleration (counter-strike 1.6)
- Go to: Set startup options and In the text box, paste the following commands: "-Noforcemaccel-noforcemparms-noforcemspd"
- Click OK and restart Steam
- Verify that the settings have been saved

Set #2 (If you open your game through a Desktop shortucut)

- Right click the game icon on your desktop

- Select "Properties" and access the "Shortcut" box
- In the Target box, add the command: -10-noforcemparms applaunch-noforcemaccel-noforcemspd
- It will end up looking like this:
"C: Program FilesSteamSteam.exe"-applaunch 10-noforcemparms-noforcemaccel-noforcemspd
- Click apply and okay