Passwords

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Watch your passwords and change them often.
I know it's easy to remember the same password you have used for the past 5 years.

But illegal hackers are looking for you.
I say illegal because the word ( hacker ) itself doesn't mean it's underworld.
Most have programs that can hack your passwords in 7.5 seconds, if they want.

Check this....
http://blog.jimmyr.com/Most_Common_Passwords_20_2008.php

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:
:techgage::techgage: nilreM :techgage::techgage:

Syran

Obliviot
Here are some more ideas from Computerworld. I use it for examples for those who are needing help on passwords where I work.

We require 8 digits and the usual 3 of 4 (uppercase, lowercase, special symbol). Personally, I keep a 10-12 digit password with all 4 that is a combination of a favorite character, something work related from a previous job and something else to put it all together. I actually use a sligthly weakened password for most of my forums that has nothing to do with any work/home system passwords.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
We require our users to change their password every 45 days and each password must meet the following requirements:

at least 6 characters
cannot be the same as the last 3 previous passwords
must contain one capital letter
must contain one numeral

Prior to implementing this, our users could use whatever they wanted. Needless to say there has been a considerable amount of rumbling but it's the way it is. We cannot afford to loose any information as most companies can't either.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Prior to implementing this, our users could use whatever they wanted. Needless to say there has been a considerable amount of rumbling but it's the way it is. We cannot afford to loose any information as most companies can't either.

I agree... it might not matter to them if their password leads to stolen data, but it sure matters to the company. Six characters is still very weak, however. Even with a capital and number, the password would take no more than ten minutes to crack on a reasonably-powered machine (or less, depends how the password file is accessed).

My "important" passwords are between 20 - 24 characters long and feature special characters, numbers and of course, letters. Like Syran, I use weaker passwords for forums and other menial things.

I think 10 characters is the sweet spot, but all passwords should require at least one special character. That in itself increases the difficulty to crack tenfold.